SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG front sight removal/installation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG front sight removal/installation Login/Join 
Picture of pointman73
posted
As an experienced armorer certified by numerous companies, including for SIG classic line and the 320, I find the SIG front sights to be the motherb*tch of all. I can use my Kaiser Uni Tool to take out and install regular height sights with moderate difficulty, but with suppressor height front sights, it is ridiculous.

The Wheeler sight tool is useless for SIG front sights. All they need to do is cut the pusher to where it would actually fight the tiny shoulder on the SIG front sight.

After beating a sight like a redheaded hooker on a P320 Pro, it took using a large diameter drift punch that fit the entire shoulder of the sight and a dead blow hammer to get it in. The left side of the shoulder showed some damage which was disguised with some cold blue.

The rear sight? Not a problem with the Uni Tool, but the Wheeler tool was useless as it wouldn't budge it as the pusher bracket would torque and had to be knocked straight enough times for me to say screw it.

Any tips from ones that can make me slap my head like Homer Simpson? DOH!

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I would suggest trying a different sight pusher. I've used this one on all of my 220's and my 320 and it's worked on both the front and rear sights. Some of the 220 sights I've changed have been 15+ years old and it pushed them out with ease.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handg...a:g:vSQAAOSwNSxU5SEu

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
I've been watching that one on eBay. How is it for suppressor height sights?

Posts: 104 | Location: From Philly, now in middle GA | Registered: June 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointman73:
I've been watching that one on eBay. How is it for suppressor height sights?

Sorry, I don't know about that, I've only put on Siglites and a few other brands.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Remember to oil the threads of the sight pusher before trying to move the sights.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
The sight-tool.com device above works pretty well but you almost need an extra set of hands to make the adjustments to secure it. I've used mine on standard sight height SIG and KIMBER pistols. I made padding for the sides and top of the slide from strips of adhesive backed fuzzy side VELCRO.

Also, put a drop of oil under the sight(s) before you crank on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pointman73
posted Hide Post
I clean and lube the sight pusher before each use. The suppressor height sights are too tall for this tool. I need a punch that is sized properly to install the front sight.

posted Hide Post
I run them on and off with the Rear Sight Tool (RST). It works fine on front and rear sights.

http://www.rearsighttool.com

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pointman73:
I need a punch that is sized properly to install the front sight.

I have several brass punches that I shape as necessary to fit the application. Also, some sights need to be reduced somewhat with a file.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always used hammer/punch on all my Sigs, classic and P320's. I found the Dawson Precision front sight tool ($3.95) works well, especially for the P226 and P229 front sights (shallow bases).

The punches are aluminum and can be easily filed to size. Also, no risk to damaging the dovetail or sight,since they are softer. Buy a couple, since they will eventually deform.

I use a nylon/brass drift for the rears. Hammer/punch method REQUIRES a heavy padded vise on a solid bench.

Link:
https://dawsonprecision.com/da...-installation-tools/

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a collection of the MGW sight tools. There is never any issue getting sights installed.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post