SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Hammer spring difference above and below #G219166?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hammer spring difference above and below #G219166? Login/Join 
posted
Can someone tell me what the functional difference would be between a P220 hammer spring for ser# below G219166 and one for a ser# above that? I ordered some spares from Wolff a while back and just noticed on the bags they are marked for ser# above G219166. Thanks

Posts: 29 | Location: 2000 miles from home | Registered: November 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
With the P220 and other classic P-series pistols, the difference is whether your gun has the old metal mainspring base or the newer plastic mainspring base. Mainsprings for the old guns are longer than those for the newer guns. That particular serial number often shows up, however, it may not be accurate.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Just in case you are unfamiliar with the different mainspring seats, here's an older metal seat and a long plastic seat (the E2-gripped pistols and some newer P-series have a shorter plastic seat).

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah now I remember how I got these. Was ordering them for my newer pistol like on the right in the pic and the guy on the phone at Wolff asked me something about the serial number and these are what I got (like the one on the left in the pic). Needless to say they didnt fit the newer pistol but I was wondering if they would work in my early 220's below serial# G219166 or if I needed to order ones labeled as that.

Posts: 29 | Location: 2000 miles from home | Registered: November 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Forget the serial number and pull the grips off.
The seat and strut are what matters not the serial number.

I gave up long ago trying to keep up with what style is what. Now I look at what I have and go from there.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK thanks. Well these looked like they would work but thought I would ask before I put one on. Forgot to ask what would be the factory spring rate for a 1993 vintage P220? Looking at ads online Im seeing some say 22 and some say 24lb is factory?