SIGforum
Stamp serial No. on P228 barrel

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/6550019814

February 06, 2017, 03:20 PM
chperez
Stamp serial No. on P228 barrel
Hi,

What would be the correct tool to stamp the gun serial number on a Sig P228 barrel? Law out here requires the barrel to have the serial stamped on it and I had to replace my original barrel. Which size punches should I get?

Thanks
February 06, 2017, 04:06 PM
sigmonkey
I would say 3mm alpha/numeric hardened steel.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
February 06, 2017, 07:56 PM
henryaz

I am fond of Young Bros. stamp sets. Made well, in the USA. I have three sets in different sizes and am pleased with their quality. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

February 06, 2017, 09:12 PM
chperez
Thanks to both, just what I needed
February 07, 2017, 07:46 PM
hrcjon
if your law doesn't require any specific font, depth or size then a vibratory etcher will be easier and likely cheaper.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
February 24, 2017, 12:43 PM
darkest2000
So the law requires that the barrel be serial numbered, but it also allows you to stamp your own serial number? Doesn't that kind of defeats the purpose? Anyone could've just stamped any numbers they want then.
March 14, 2017, 07:41 AM
flwing
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
So the law requires that the barrel be serial numbered, but it also allows you to stamp your own serial number? Doesn't that kind of defeats the purpose? Anyone could've just stamped any numbers they want then.

A perfect example of a poorly thought-out law which puts the burden on a lawful firearm owner and accomplishes nothing of value in return.