SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Alloy frame rail wear
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alloy frame rail wear Login/Join 
posted
I ordered a 226 40 cal police trade in. Pistol is 99% on the outside, not even holster wear, but the rails are in rough shape. Dull gray on top and inside rails. My question is what do I have to watch out for, cracking? Google search and it seems Sig won't replace frames. I really like the pistol but don't want to turn it into a paperweight.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'd grease the heck out of it and shoot it. Many LEO pistols are not lubed routinely.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
It’s hard to evaluate wear unless you post pictures.

If the wear is like a file, into the frame itself, that’s more than moderate. If the integrity of the anodizing is fine and it’s just the wearing off of the black, no big deal.

Many SIG pistols suffer immediate “rough” frame wear in certain areas that is self-limiting. It will get to a point and usually not progress beyond normal wear.

Grease the rails well and shoot away.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Pictures would really help. My alloy framed P226/9 that I purchased new in 2002, and has tens of thousands of rounds through it, shows very little wear on the frame rails.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't figured out how to post pics.

DPR

SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
How to attach photos:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6470098434

Mike

Posts: 4929 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:

Email a couple to me in the mean time and I’ll post them here.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:

Email a couple to me in the mean time and I’ll post them here.

Email sent

DPR

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Here are pics from 10round:

10round, take a look at this article by one of our SIG experts Bruce and you should feel fine about your purchase:

GRAYGUNS Guide to SIG Sauer Pistol Inspection

RB

posted Hide Post
Looks like it was shot a lot and lubed a little.

I see them like that at the range with the "I can't stand to shoot a gun and not clean it" crowd.

They clean it to death because they don't want any malfunctions, and then run them bone dry because lube is "messy".

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
Looks like it was shot a lot and lubed a little.

That is my guess too.

The rails look a little more worn than my 9 mm, but not by much.

I would lube it up well, and shoot the snot out of it.

Mike

posted Hide Post
The outside is in great shape, I can't believe this gun was shot so much. I'm going with, "lube and shoot the snot out of it". I'll post if I break it.

DPR

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It appears that the pictures were taken with the lube in place. It would have been better to remove the lube before taking pictures as the lube tends to cause glare and reflection and sometimes obscure the actual metal finish condition underneath. Also, it would be better to focus on the underside of the frame rails as that is where most of the wear and cracks occur and first appear.

I suppose "shot a lot" is a subjective term based on individual perception. When I think "shot a lot" I think in terms of thousands of rounds and much more wear than is evident in the pictures. I do agree that if it were mine I would have lubed it a little heavier in certain places than is evident in the current pictures.

In fact I'd say that gun hasn't seen many rounds at all, a few thousand at most and the rail wear is fairly light and certainly typical of P226s that I've owned/shot with only a few thousand rounds through them.

Can't say for sure without seeing the underside of the frame rails without lube on them, but I see nothing at all concerning based on this set of pictures.

Congratulations on what appears to be a fine P226 DAK!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
It appears that the pictures were taken with the lube in place. It would have been better to remove the lube before taking pictures as the lube tends to cause glare and reflection and sometimes obscure the actual metal finish condition underneath. Also, it would be better to focus on the underside of the frame rails as that is where most of the wear and cracks occur and first appear.

I suppose "shot a lot" is a subjective term based on individual perception. When I think "shot a lot" I think in terms of thousands of rounds and much more wear than is evident in the pictures. I do agree that if it were mine I would have lubed it a little heavier in certain places than is evident in the current pictures.

In fact I'd say that gun hasn't seen many rounds at all, a few thousand at most and the rail wear is fairly light and certainly typical of P226s that I've owned/shot with only a few thousand rounds through them.

Can't say for sure without seeing the underside of the frame rails without lube on them, but I see nothing at all concerning based on this set of pictures.

Congratulations on what appears to be a fine P226 DAK!

Outstanding, good to hear!

DPR

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Looks normal for many P-series Sigs.

Put some good thick grease on the rails and shot the heck out of it.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post