SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 Extractor Issue - .357 SIG
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Extractor Issue - .357 SIG Login/Join 
posted
I was trying some Federal HST ammo in two different P320. One pistol shot it without issue and another one had 100% failure to extract.

The one that works is a .357 SIG Full Size. The one that fails is an early .40 S&W compact slide with a .357 SIG Full Size barrel that is threaded for a silencer, but the silencer was not used for testing.

This brings up a couple of questions.

1. Are there any differences in extractors between .357 SIG and .40 S&W?

2. I know some early 9mm pistolss had extractor issues. Did the early .40 S&W pistols have the same issues?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Rich,
I was able to get my hands on the P320 parts list in July 2015. Only a few of the items are specific to P320 size or caliber. For example, Recoil Spring Part Number for Compact is different than the SubCompact and the Take Down Lever Part Number for the .45cal is different than the other calibers.

If you call the Sig Sauer Academy Pro Shop (603-610-3456) or Customer Service (603-418-8102) and ask nicely, they will email you the parts list.

On my July 2015 Parts List, the Extractor and Extractor Spring were the same for all sizes and calibers. The Extractor Spring Pin has two Part Numbers, but I don't understand how they are different based on their descriptions:

Here are the 2015 part numbers:

Extractor (9/357/40/45)
Part Number: 1301042-R
Price: $6.00
Recommended replacement every 20K rounds.

Extractor Spring (9/357/40/45)
Part Number: SPRING-45
Price: $6.00
Recommended replacement every 20K rounds.

Extractor Pin TR
Part Number: 13014047-R
Price: $8.00

Extractor Pin
Part Number 1300324-R
Price $6.00

See what I mean, what is the difference between Extractor Pin TR and Extractor Pin?

When I reread our P320 Extractor Design Change thread:
(https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...850044034#5850044034)

The only Part Number that changed was for the Spring:
Extractor Spring
Part Number: 1300521-R

Bruce Gray also contributed in that thread, he stated:
quote:
Originally posted by Grayguns:
The updated part numbers represent an evolutionary change to increase extractor tension and improve extractor hook bite. The three parts you received all are intended to work together, though each is nominally reverse-compatible with the earlier parts versions. These parts will help correct your occasional FTE issue. Ammo selection also matters; certain iffy lots of cheap 115 gr. training ball, reman stuff and hand-loads all have been implicated in such reports.

quote:
These extractors are all interchangeable between calibers

quote:
you also get the new extractor pin? It too is longer, and pretensions the spring quite a bit more.

In the approximately 2,000 rounds I have fired following the part changes, I have not had any FTE in my P320 Compact. What caught my eye in your post, was your statement that your P320 Compact .40 with 357 barrel was an early production model. My pistol was also an early model having a manufacture date of November 2014 according to its box.

FYI, I always end my range trip shooting at least one magazine of Federal HST 147gr JHP as it is my home defense ammo choice for my P320 Compact. For training, I usually shoot Federal American Eagle 147 FMJ (Flatt Nose) as it is ballistically equivalent to the HST 147gr JHP

I suggest you contact Sig Customer Service, let them know you have an early P320 Compact and ask for replacement Extractor, Extractor Pin, and Extractor Spring due to the FTE issues you are encountering.

Feel free to contact me if you have any problems. My email address is in my Member Profile.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new extractor parts fixed the issue. I'm a little ticked at SIG because they made me pay for the parts, but they did waive the shipping costs.

The customer disservice representative really wanted me to send it in for warranty service. I pointed out that that would cost them more than just sending me the parts and that's when he finally offered to waive shipping.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I'm sorry to hear about your issues with Sig's Customer Service, I have also found them to be inconsistent with how they resolve the same problem between customers.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post