SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig mainspring colors: is there a guide?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig mainspring colors: is there a guide? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am in possession of some Sig mainsprings that I wish to identify. Some are yellow. Some are black.
Is there list somewhere that decodes them?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve read online where some people report getting yellow main springs installed at Sig when they ask for a lighter trigger pull. Black, no idea.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The only reference to color thst I see is for the red DAK spring.
Am I missing something else?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’m traveling right now, but somewhere on the home computer I have saved the information that Sigfreund posted on this.

It may be in the tread on service intervals as well. I’ll see if Ican find it.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Love Top Gun Supply! Big Grin Don’t love the search function on their website. Confused

Shop Gun Parts, then Sig Sauer Gun parts, then shop by category, then recoil springs.

Blue is P229 & 250C in .40S&W
Green is P220/P227 .45, P226 .357&.40, P250FS in .40
White is P229 9mm and M11-A1
Orange is P226 9mm and P250 FS 9mm.
Orange flat wire is P238.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I did find the list of recoil springs, with the colors. Not what I was looking for.
I also found the mainsprings, but no colors other than red.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
These are the only SIG factory mainspring colors I have seen:

Black, short spring: standard mainspring used in most of the Classic line pistols, P220, P226, P228, P229, P245.

Red: DAK mainspring used in P220, P226, P229. When used in a DA/SA gun it produces a heavier pull weight than the standard spring.

Yellow: a rare, now-discontinued spring rated at 18 pounds by the factory. Long ago I ran across a couple of references that indicated it may have been used in double action only pistols for a time. If true, it was probably because the lower power of the spring made for a lighter DA trigger pull and the extra power wasn’t needed to keep the single action pull weight from being too light. When I used a yellow spring in a DAO P229, I experienced light strike misfires.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
Love Top Gun Supply! Big Grin Don’t love the search function on their website. Confused

Shop Gun Parts, then Sig Sauer Gun parts, then shop by category, then recoil springs.

Blue is P229 & 250C in .40S&W
Green is P220/P227 .45, P226 .357&.40, P250FS in .40
White is P229 9mm and M11-A1
Orange is P226 9mm and P250 FS 9mm.
Orange flat wire is P238.

Hope this helps.

Concur, I must love top gun supply given all the spare parts I have from them, but truly hate their search facility on the web site. Is an odd site anyway not quite like any other. What generation of web sites are we up to anyway? I have lost track since retiring couple years ago

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 225a1 came with red DAK spring. Those suck. Traded it for std weight spring, huge improvement, no problems. That’s all I got stay away from red. Ugh

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post