SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SRT kit - common sense or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SRT kit - common sense or not? Login/Join 
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted
I did not find any thread that directly addresses this, so posting a new question.

I picked up a very nice 1989 W German P226. The trigger is really very nice on this gun. This will not be a range only gun. I plan to carry it off duty.

I am going to pick up a parts kit and change out those parts, but I am considering an SRT kit in it as well. I have SRT in my Legions, but they are SAO.

Common sense says that since that kit changes the sear... it is going to change the single action break. How can it not?

Common sense or am I missing something?

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Posts: 167 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Assuming that the sear is original, you should probably put in a new hammer, as well. The trigger pull is good because those parts have worn together for 30 years.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is going to change. But, here's the deal. If the trigger is good, why mess with the SRT? The SRT is pretty over rated in it's correlation to speed shooting. You look at the FAMs who are notorious for being fast and accurate. None of their guns have SRT.

It matters way more what you are doing with the trigger to set up the next shot. You will never reset and prep at a rate faster than the slide will cycle, but you can try. This will set you up to be prepped and ready when the sights come to a stop. Which is what you are looking for anyways. The amount of distance the finger has to move has nothing to do with these split times. The FAMS learned this and dumped the early adoption of the SRT as unproven and unneeded because it was not making them any faster. Today, the SRT is a proven system. But, I agree with their line of thought that it is still unneeded from a speed shooting point of view.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t agree more..
quote:
It matters way more what you are doing with the trigger to set up the next shot. You will never reset and prep at a rate faster than the slide will cycle, but you can try.

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
I dropped an SRT kit into an old P226 like you describe. If you pulled the trigger in DA very slowly, the gun would decock. Several folks reported similar experiences.

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those who answered the question I asked. I got the answer I expected and some additional.

I'm not a speed shooter. Don't own a timer, my FTO's do. I don't play games with guns. Hell, I don't even know WTF a "FAM" is! I know what a LODD is though.

I mis-spoke in my original post. I apologize. Only one of my others is an SAO Legion. It is not my primary. My primary is DA/SA.

My purpose in considering the SRT kit is consistency. Consistency in reset travel distance between this one which will be primarily a backup / spare, and my primary 226, which has the SRT.

I know that the reset distance difference between my 1911s and the BHPs I love so much DOES trip me up from time to time due to the extra travel to reset. That doesn't matter as those are range guns that I shoot occasionally.

The 226s are a different story, and I would like them to be consistent.

Again, Thanks folks.

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

posted Hide Post
Given the context of your purpose, I recommend you try the SRT kit.

I think Mr Jones was primarily warning you not to assume that the change is needed and / or would magically transform your shooting. ie Swapping for a more powerful engine won’t make you a better driver. But, you might still want and enjoy the extra power.

This summer, I sent my 1988 226 to Sig for their $85 service plan. Since I wasn’t opting for the package with the night sight upgrade, the CS rep offered to toss in the SRT kit & install for $50. I accepted his offer.

I’ve also self-installed the kit in some newer models and I also have an SAO. I like the consistency.

I don’t drive any better, but I like the upgrade. If you approach it with that goal, it’s hard to find a negative with the kit. And, you could elect to combine the kit install with the service plan, if you’d like Sig to look over the neighboring older parts for possible replacement.

If we Americans only bought necessities, we’d be a poor country. Right or wrong, we’ve been enjoying a nice ride partially due to our tendency to spend on what we want. I’m as guilty of that as anyone, though I’m pretty good at self-justifying “need” to ease any guilt. Have fun.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped an SRT kit in my USA made P226 (circa 2009). I also put in a 19lb mainspring.

I use this in competition, along with my Glocks, 1911's, Sig P320 and S&W 686's.

The trigger is more user friendly, you just have the learn the shorter reset. Range time does that.

Happiness is hitting your target.

Posts: 10 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: August 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BloodyThumb:

I'm not a speed shooter. Don't own a timer, my FTO's do. I don't play games with guns. Hell, I don't even know WTF a "FAM" is! I know what a LODD is though.

Then you most definitely want the SRT. The SRT is an attempt at a hardware solution for a software problem. You have no interest in what the professionals do, so I'd say ABSOLUTELY try the hardware fix.

I have no idea what a line of duty death has to do with your point, though. Seems to be a platitude like the "urmaghad competition will get you kilt" that many on my job falsely have.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
No sir, that was not the intent at all.

That was a poor attempt at conveying my lack of knowledge of the latest acronyms in the land of internet experts. I still don't know what an FAM is, but I do know what an LODD is, and my quest for consistency, along with a lot of training and a lot of range time, is an attempt to not be one.

My desire for consistency comes from having one weapon with SRT that I am not allowed to alter, and the other which I can.

While we're swapping platitudes, I asked a specific (albeit a silly rube-like) question hoping for a specific answer. That is totally my fault for having that expectation. It is much like walking in to a shop looking specifically for product "X" and if it is not in stock, hearing from the unknown professional behind the counter, "Why listen here ya rube! You don't really want what you want, you want what I'm SELLIN'".

I most certainly do value the advice and input of an experienced professional, but I usually seek them out and try to vet them intentionally, and always in some way other than by swinging a dead cat, which will always find 6 or 8 these days... just in my area!

Totally my fault

My apologies again to anyone offended by my harsh words.

It truly was not my intent and it will not happen again.

Best of luck to all.

Thanks,
BT

posted Hide Post
What harsh words?

Happiness is hitting your target.

Posts: 10 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: August 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
FAM stands for "Federal Air Marshall". I only know that because one of OpsSpec's lead trainers is a FAM and I have seen him shoot.
Whoah. Wink

If your aim is to have your duty gun and off duty gun have the same reset and ignition points, I would say you are getting what you want. Nothing wrong with consistency.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post