SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Decocker not working after SRT installation on 229 Equinox
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decocker not working after SRT installation on 229 Equinox Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys,

Need your help on this one. I installed a factory SRT kit on my 229 Equinox (purchased around 2007, when it was still SIGARMS Custom Shop). The trigger reset seems to be fine, and as far as I can tell the rest of the gun is working fine.

The nickel plated decocker, however, is not working. I took it apart and installed it again and the problem is still there. I'm pushing it down as far as I can and it's just not engaging anything. When I let go it comes back up to it's original position.

Did I do something wrong on the install? Are there any known issues with the SRT kit and the nickel plated parts on the Equinox? Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 102 | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
If you pull off the left grip panel and look into the frame, is the de-cocker engaging the notch in the hammer/sear?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you compared the two parts, specifically the length and width of the bar that protrudes into the frame?

The 226/227/229 parts kit doesn't come with a new decocker. I think only the 220 kit does. So I don't have another decocker to compare it to.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navman316:
quote:
Have you compared the two parts, specifically the length and width of the bar that protrudes into the frame?

The 226/227/229 parts kit doesn't come with a new decocker. I think only the 220 kit does. So I don't have another decocker to compare it to.

Oops, sorry, went back and edited after I remembered that that kit is just the safety lever and sear...

Sounds like perhaps something is amiss with the sear, have you compared them?

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oops, sorry, went back and edited after I remembered that that kit is just the safety lever and sear...

Sounds like perhaps something is amiss with the sear, have you compared them?

The left side of the sear, which is where I believe it would catch the decocker, looks identical (at least as far as I can see) with the original one.

posted Hide Post
Update: I took the grips off so that I could check the operation of the pistol. As soon as I did a piece of the wooden equinox grips that had broken off fell out. It looks like the broken piece was preventing the decocker from fully engaging. As soon as the piece fell out the decocker started working fine again.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I love a happy ending!

NRA Benefactor

posted Hide Post
Aha! I always like to see a mystery solved.

Good excuse for buying a set of INDESTRUCTIBLE G10's. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good excuse for buying a set of INDESTRUCTIBLE G10's.

Lol, do you have to put ideas like this into my head? I've been spending the last 5 minutes looking at G10 grips now.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Lol, do you have to put ideas like this into my head? I've been spending the last 5 minutes looking at G10 grips now.
It's what we do, we're here to serve! Wink

NRA Benefactor

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hang around on the SF long enough and you'll be liquidating your IRA for gun money. Smile

I'm an old steel and walnut guy, but the G10's are the way to go for functionality. The back straps really secure the hand. I add skateboard tape to the front and it locks in the gun nicely under recoil.

I have G10's on three of my Sig classic P-series. My favorite vendor is Greg Cote:
http://gregcotellc.com/cart/ho...b65e7693334f5fcd4ca3

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
Please allow me to enable you:

Hogue Piranha G10 grey/ black with Hogue allen wrench screws

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hang around on the SF long enough and you'll be liquidating your IRA for gun money.

Haha, most of my IRA was liquidated when I decided to leave my old job and start my own law practice. Can't afford to lose any more of it so maybe I should stay away from SF for a while...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MooneyP226:
Please allow me to enable you:

Hogue Piranha G10 grey/ black with Hogue allen wrench screws

Simply stunning!