SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Dehorning a shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dehorning a shotgun Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

My shotgun cut my hands to ribbons, during a class, recently.
How would you go about breaking some of the sharp edges? I don't want a full-on professional "melt job", just smoothing the sharp edges around the loading and ejection ports.

Flitz and a Dremel, myself, and then send it out for a refinish?
Local gunsmith and then refinish?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Is this a steel reciever?

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Aluminum Beretta 1201FP.

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if flitz will cut through the anodizing to allow you to soften the sharp edges. I’ve used 320 grit “Wet or Dry” sandpaper to dehorn a stainless carry revolver. It worked well for that. I wrapped it around a rectangular rubber pencil eraser for a sanding block, to maintain a more consistent edge angle where needed for appearances.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Dremel tools have bad reputations in some circles, but if used judiciously they are a great tool. For the job you’re asking about, that’s exactly what I would use. If, however, the edges are sharp enough to actually cut, I agree that Flitz and a felt bob will probably not be enough unless you’re prepared to take a very long time.

Sandpaper would no doubt work as well and be more controllable, but I personally would use a Dremel with some sort of CRATEX tip. They are available with different abrasive grades, and I’d start with something not too aggressive. I have often used them for removing the sharp edges on the inside of magazine lips and other jobs when I wanted to remove a little metal. The finer abrasives will leave a pretty smooth finish, but you could always follow up with Flitz. With aluminum it’s necessary to be a little careful and not gouge the work, but just go slowly and hold the Dremel with both hands (clamp the gun to a bench or other sturdy surface). Practicing beforehand is a good idea to get a feel for things.

As for refinishing, the first question is why do you think that’s necessary? If it’s for resale value, once the gun has been modified, and especially refinished, it’s not original no matter what. If it’s just for the looks of the small polished areas, you might consider Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. It’s not great stuff, but it works okay on freshly polished surfaces. (Tip: remove all polishing compound residue and apply the stuff immediately.)

If you decide on refinishing, then there’s all the issues with anodizing: Strip and reduce the strength of the metal, or cover with a coat that may not be very durable, etc.? Even if I thought I might sell the gun at some point, I’d just let the buyer decide on refinishing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
I am not worrying about resale value. I just want to have black gun without a ton of exposed aluminum that says "A gun plumber was here". I am considering Alumablack or air-dry Cerakote and a makeup sponge.
I will definitely go slow with the polishing. I will look at some different abrasive flexible tips.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I built a few 1911s from new frames last year and discovered ceramic files. (Hadn't done that kind of work in well, many years).
Wow, what a difference.

Consider using a ceramic file- very controllable (downside to dremel) and come in a huge variety of shapes/profiles. What I really like about the ceramic files is the ability to get a smooth surface without removing too much material. Reasonable price also.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I may try my Spyderco Sharpmaker stones, as they are very similar to the above.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
Consider using a ceramic file

Nice set of stones. Where did you purchase them?
And is that a homemade case?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Sigfreund,
I just found your post from November when I was trying to locate a post about preparing plastic grip modules to be cut so they don't turn grey due to heat.

Back in December I contacted Rinehart about the manufactor of the ceramic files he shared. He wrote...

Spyderco ceramic files. Unless you can find a set of used ones (seems to be hard to find on Ebay), the cheapest price I see now is on Amazon at $52.50.

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderc...id=1576537169&sr=8-2

Posts: 2854 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post