SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    What is a "Legion extractor"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a "Legion extractor"? Login/Join 
Picture of shikemd
posted
In preparation for a class I'll be doing in a few months, I went looking for a spare short extractor for a 9mm P226 with stainless slide. I found these. They are cheaper and in stock, so I'm trying to figure out exactly what a "Legion" extractor is (my pistol is not of the Legion series). Is it just a different color to match the Legion pistols?

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I doubt that its color is any different from anything considered “non-Legion.” I can’t be sure, but I suspect it’s just another example of someone’s preparing a product description and picking out a word or two that he doesn’t really understand.

This statement is further support for my suspicion:

“The extractor is installed into the slide of models that use this short style of part and is responsible for placing the next round from the magazine into the chamber of the firearm.Roll Eyes

FWIW, there were never any Legion versions of the P225, but on the other hand original extractors of that short style were different depending upon whether they were for 9mm or 357 SIG/40 S&W. Perhaps SIG settled on one design for all cartridges at some point.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the wisdom. I'm a little leery of the low price of these. The odds of counterfeit SIG parts are probably low, but the penalty is potentially high and it's not worth the risk to save $20. I'll place a backorder with a known good supplier.

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
MGW is good to go, I have ordered many Sig parts through them and they are genuine.
The wording in the description is kinda worded bad.

It is the short style extractor and the P220 Legion does have a short extractor, the only Legion that does.

Topgun Supply has them for $40 and it is superseded to the MGW part # https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...0-229-40-239-40.html

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
The 1200459 are the Short Extractors that are for .357 SIG, .40 S&W and 9mm .

I call them the good ones but they are MIM and the best mim ones. The best short extractors come from GrayGuns but they have not had any lately.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
MGW is good to go, I have ordered many Sig parts through them and they are genuine.
The wording in the description is kinda worded bad.

It is the short style extractor and the P220 Legion does have a short extractor, the only Legion that does.

Topgun Supply has them for $40 and it is superseded to the MGW part # https://www.topgunsupply.com/s...0-229-40-239-40.html

I have had lots of great experience with MGW. But have mostly bought from TGS, I think they have been around longer and have held the line on fast shipping. I am still worried about my internal P220 ST extractor being around though I guess they are available elsewhere on this forum.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
I did order a couple from the MGW link in my original post. MIM as expected (made in India) and they look to be legitimate factory parts. No reason to expect these won't work well.

I still wish Mr. Gray had some for sale, but I could be waiting a long time for those.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:
I did order a couple from the MGW link in my original post. MIM as expected (made in India) and they look to be legitimate factory parts. No reason to expect these won't work well.

I still wish Mr. Gray had some for sale, but I could be waiting a long time for those.

I remember when Sig was using India to make their P series take down levers. A disaster. They may still be made there but the last couple I got didn’t have that as the country of origin.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
quote:
Originally posted by shikemd:

I remember when Sig was using India to make their P series take down levers. A disaster. They may still be made there but the last couple I got didn’t have that as the country of origin.

Thanks Mark

I was not aware of this situation!

I am a new P320 owner (purchased 12/4/2019).

I am very concerned that my takedown lever could be one of the Indian ones. How can one tell if their takedown lever is one of the Indian ones?

Will Sig service replace the lever?

Posts: 381 | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I remember when Sig was using India to make their P series take down levers. A disaster.

What was the problem with them?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The bond of the head of the pin from the lever breaking, resulting in a "spinning" takedown lever.

Required a good smith to drill it to get a purchase with a tool to rotate it, drill it out, or a trip back to SIG.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post