SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    recoil spring for early p220?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recoil spring for early p220? Login/Join 
posted
I want a couple spare recoil springs for my early 80's P220s that have the single strand recoil spring. I am told the newer multi-strand springs dont fit and read a couple reviews on the wolff single strand spring that said it didnt fit in earlier models either. What do you guys use that works? thanks

Posts: 29 | Location: 2000 miles from home | Registered: November 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I have a 1987 Interarms Euro P220 and I use the Wolff recoil Springs without issue.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ordered a couple wolff springs to try. Will post results

Posts: 29 | Location: 2000 miles from home | Registered: November 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D85:
Will post results

Please do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the springs from TGS. Received wrong springs initially but they were quick to fix things. Been waiting on some other parts to complete another project so I havent taken anything out to the range to test yet, but I did note some interesting variations in the springs. The original single coil spring in my P220 measured 4 3/4". The Wolff 14lb spring measured 4 1/2", the 16lb is 5", and the 18lb came in at 5 3/8". To me, the 18lb spring has the best feel in the pistol. It also has a smaller, captive end that grips the guide rod like the factory one. The 14lb and 16lb springs were loose on the guide rod , having the same inner diameter on each end. The 2 factory 'green' braided springs I got measured 5 1/8" and 5 1/4".

Picture of BloodyThumb
posted Hide Post
I have been using Wolff 18lb for many many years in my oldest P220. Nothing but 230gr ball and full power defensive HPs (varying over the years, but always 230gr), with no issues whatsoever.

Have heard from others that stuff they have loaded with 186gr and light charges are less than stellar reliability with 18, which stands to reason.

Thanks,
BT

Seek out those called “experts” by the ones who have earned your respect. Avoid those who publicly proclaim themselves as one. Especially if they are selling T-shirts.

Posts: 167 | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Assuming that your P220 is a 45 ACP, 18 seems about right. Start with the strongest spring and stay with the first one that cycles properly.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post