Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm P220/BDA Login/Join 
posted
Hi all - Hope you can advise as to any creative options I might have... My oh-so-sweet 1977 vintage 9mm SIG P220/Browning BDA (with euro/heel mag release) has hairline cracks in the slide that the SIG factory says cannot be repaired and which render the pistol unsafe to fire. SIG also says that, due to the pistol's age, there are no replacement slides available. What are my options for keeping this pistol alive as some sort of Frankenpistol?

Any conversion kits that work with Euro/heel magazine release?
  • Any aftermarket 9mm slides?
  • Any other SIG slides that are interchangeable with my pistol? Maybe a SIG P226 9mm slide (would this approach require a 226 barrel as well?)?
  • Anywhere that I might find a used slide from a European police surplus 9mm P220?
Or, is my only option to sell the parts on gunbroker.com?

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas

Posts: 8 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: December 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Before you give up, contact the folks at Gray Guns and ask if they can help. They do amazing work on handguns. You will need to provide good photos or be prepared to ship them the slide for inspection.

https://grayguns.com

Posts: 10502 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Before you give up, contact the folks at Gray Guns and ask if they can help.

Ditto on that. And welcome to the forum. Smile

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 36246 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGSauer
Anthropologist
Picture of OTD
posted Hide Post
The crack was common on this type of slide (W.German quality Wink). That’s why they changed the desing of the slide several times.
It might be nice if soembody is welding it, personally I would not bother and have it converted to a .22/.45. It's not really a historic treasure. The frame desing of this type has not been changed. Any P220 slide will fit for that reason.
Adapting the magazin of a conversion kit or the magazin catch for the US style magazine is probably cheaper than a new slide assembly or it's repair.

Posts: 3263 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for your input, everyone. And thanks for the welcome to the forum!

I will reach out to Gray Guns to see what they think about possibly doing a repair that the factory was unwilling to do.

My local gunsmith who is very well thought of locally (Mitch Schultz of Gunsmithing Ltd in Southport, CT) told me that a 9mm P226 slide would work. However am not sure how a replacement slide would work from a legal perspective, given that the serial number is on the slide.

Googling has yet to turn-up a new or used 9mm P220 or P226 slide. Also have yet to find a non-USA source for a used/surplus police or military 9mm P220 slide.

As a last resort, would a P226 caliber x change kit function properly? At around $310 it would be less wasteful and quite a bit cheaper than a new Sig pistol, right? (I realize that I would not be able to use the fatter double stack magazine that comes with it but maybe Sig would knock a couple of bucks off the price for not including the mag.)

Again, thanks for your thoughts re: how to salvage a (mostly) perfectly good gun.

Posts: 8 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: December 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
However am not sure how a replacement slide would work from a legal perspective, given that the serial number is on the slide.

That is not a problem because the slide is not a firearm and the US does not require a serial number on the slide or barrel. We have seen several factory refurbished guns with replacement slides, although the factory mills-out the non-matching slide serial number. It will negatively affect resale value, however.

Posts: 10502 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
However am not sure how a replacement slide would work from a legal perspective, given that the serial number is on the slide.

That is not a problem because the slide is not a firearm and the US does not require a serial number on the slide or barrel. We have seen several factory refurbished guns with replacement slides, although the factory mills-out the non-matching slide serial number. It will negatively affect resale value, however.

Thanks, Gary. Glad to know it's not a legal issue.

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhr1960:
My local gunsmith who is very well thought of locally (Mitch Schultz of Gunsmithing Ltd in Southport, CT) told me that a 9mm P226 slide would work.

I remember seeing a post from someone in Europe indicating that they were able to run a P226 slide on a P220. However, I believe that there is an issue where the firing pin safety lock would not be functional.

I could be mistaken, hopefully somebody will chime in on this.

quote:
Originally posted by rhr1960: As a last resort, would a P226 caliber x change kit function properly? At around $310 it would be less wasteful and quite a bit cheaper than a new Sig pistol, right? (I realize that I would not be able to use the fatter double stack magazine that comes with it but maybe Sig would knock a couple of bucks off the price for not including the mag.)

Conversions and mags aren't available directly from the Sig store to residents of Connecticut. You'll have to source one from a retailer that has one in stock or private seller.

------------
P220R SAO - .22; P225 Polizei; P226 SAO Legion; SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 775 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
quote:
My local gunsmith who is very well thought of locally (Mitch Schultz of Gunsmithing Ltd in Southport, CT) told me that a 9mm P226 slide would work.

I remember seeing a post from someone in Europe indicating that they were able to run a P226 slide on a P220. However, I believe that there is an issue where the firing pin safety lock would not be functional.

I could be mistaken, hopefully somebody will chime in on this.

quote:
Originally posted by rhr1960: As a last resort, would a P226 caliber x change kit function properly? At around $310 it would be less wasteful and quite a bit cheaper than a new Sig pistol, right? (I realize that I would not be able to use the fatter double stack magazine that comes with it but maybe Sig would knock a couple of bucks off the price for not including the mag.)

Conversions and mags aren't available directly from the Sig store to residents of Connecticut. You'll have to source one from a retailer that has one in stock or private seller.

Thanks! Yes, I saw that the conversion kit is not available to CT residents. Wonder if having a CCW permit changes that? Alternatively, maybe a ski weekend in NH holds the solution to the problem? ;-)

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks! Yes, I saw that the conversion kit is not available to CT residents. Wonder if having a CCW permit changes that?

Unfortunately, it wouldn't matter. I spoke to Sig customer service about this when I went to order mags during one of their sales.

They don't want to be responsible for monitoring state laws and since they know CT has a round limit, we're automatically excluded. Since the kit contains a mag, they're excluded as well.

Good question about buying while in state.

------------
P220R SAO - .22; P225 Polizei; P226 SAO Legion; SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 775 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcs1564:
quote:
Thanks! Yes, I saw that the conversion kit is not available to CT residents. Wonder if having a CCW permit changes that?

Unfortunately, it wouldn't matter. I spoke to Sig customer service about this when I went to order mags during one of their sales.

They don't want to be responsible for monitoring state laws and since they know CT has a round limit, we're automatically excluded. Since the kit contains a mag, they're excluded as well.

Good question about buying while in state.

Thanks for the info re: CCW not mattering Smile

posted Hide Post
If you haven't solved the problem, I have a P220 pinched nose slide (HG code-G101xxx) without internals. I bought it many years thinking I could use a P226 breech block and have a spare slide for my G104 and G107 9mm P220's, but I haven't been able to make it work with the P226 breech block or to find a P220 9mm breech block. My failed project annoys me, so I would be glad to send you my bare slide. It is well used, but has no cracks or rust I can see. I think as a non-frame part I can legally mail it to CT even though it has a serial number. Let me know if you might be interested in trying that avenue since I don't need it.

Posts: 69 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA, USA | Registered: April 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rasczak:
If you haven't solved the problem, I have a P220 pinched nose slide (HG code-G101xxx) without internals. I bought it many years thinking I could use a P226 breech block and have a spare slide for my G104 and G107 9mm P220's, but I haven't been able to make it work with the P226 breech block or to find a P220 9mm breech block. My failed project annoys me, so I would be glad to send you my bare slide. It is well used, but has no cracks or rust I can see. I think as a non-frame part I can legally mail it to CT even though it has a serial number. Let me know if you might be interested in trying that avenue since I don't need it.

Hi Rasczak -- Just saw your post and apologize for the slow reply. Wouldn't you know it, I just received (today!) a used slide. It's pretty tired looking though and I could return it if yours is in better shape. How much would you like for yours? (And yes, slides can just be mailed to folks in CT without having to do an FFL transfer.)

Rob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rhr1960,

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Such a great bunch of people on this Forum. Hope this all works out and you get that P220 running again. I had a 1977 BDA in 9mm but never fired it. It is a sweet pistol.

Posts: 13273 | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Such a great bunch of people on this Forum. Hope this all works out and you get that P220 running again. I had a 1977 BDA in 9mm but never fired it. It is a sweet pistol.

Yes indeed! Folks have been super nice and helpful. Fingers crossed I can find a nice slide because I shot the gun before I learned it wasn't safe, and it was really nice.

Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rasczak:
...or to find a P220 9mm breech block...

I think you can order one of these by clicking here.

Welcome to the forum from Georgia.

My other Sig is a Steyr...

Posts: 2017 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will go find it again and send it to you, no charge as it will relieve my guilt over at least one of my unfinished gun projects. All I ask is that if you don't use it, please return it so I can delude myself it came it handy or try that breech block that .38supersig was kind enough to suggest and link. I don't see any way to IM or email you, so please email me if you are interested.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rasczak,

Posts: 69 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA, USA | Registered: April 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post