SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG 1911 Super Target rear sight parts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 1911 Super Target rear sight parts Login/Join 
Picture of DC3S
posted
SIG 1911 Super Target rear sight parts

Asking for some help from anyone who is familiar with this model, and or has one.

This sight appears to be unique to the Super Target. While other SIG 1911 target models have a somewhat similar rear sight, the Super Target is unique in that it has a @ 1.5mm hex set screw that is inside the dovetail, which I believe is used to lock the elevation screw adjustment?

Although the sight is branded Sig Sauer, I believe it is from the LPA TRT44 family of rear sights. I have looked at both a 2016 and 2018 LPA catalog, and no joy. I called SIG CS, their parts fiche only shows the entire assembly, and so they will send me a new rear sight when and if it is in stock.

I would like to buy the needed part, but need the proper dimensions. Does anybody have that particular information?

Here are some links to give some idea of which I speak.

https://tinyurl.com/ycff27gg

https://tinyurl.com/ychrwcgv

Cheers.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC3S:
the Super Target is unique in that it has a @ 1.5mm hex set screw that is inside the dovetail, which I believe is used to lock the elevation screw adjustment?

I don't have that sight on my 1911s but I have never seen any sight that contains a screw to lock an adjustment.
When you say the set screw is inside the dovetail, it leads me to believe it is to secure the sight in case it was a loose fit, like some Bomar type sights have.

Do any of these parts look like what you need?
LPA Replacement parts @ Kensight

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Asking for some help from anyone who is familiar with this model, and or has one.

I don't have that model, but I do have a P220 10mm, which has what appears to be the same adjustable rear, and more so from your description. My set screw is M3 x 0.5. I ordered some ahead of time, figuring the time might come I needed it (some people had rear sights loosening). I got them from McMaster Carr, of course only in bags of 25, so I have plenty of extras. I have 3 types, with a pointed tip, a cupped tip, and a sort of rounded blunt tip. I used the pointy one, using the screw itself to mark its location in the dovetail, then drilled a tiny hole there, screwed it in with loctite. Since my sights were dead on for windage anyway. The set screw (at least the way I installed mine) locks side-to-side movement of the sight, and helps secure it to the dovetail. If you use the cupped or blunted one, you could probably secure the sight and have both windage and elevation. You still have elevation adjustment regardless.

If you would like, I will send you one of each if you will email your address. If yours are indeed 1.5mm long, however, mine won't work for you.

ETA, I gave an incomplete call-out on the size. They are M3 x 0.5 x 3mm long.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Bit of an update. Believing that the rear sight on my Super Target might be an LPA sight, I reached out to Fusion down in Florida. Was able to talk to a tech who told me it was not an LPA sight, but likely a Kensight. So I called Kensight. Spoke to a very helpful lady who answered the phone. Although I have seen mention that the front optic sight is a Dawson cut, and the rear sight a Bomar cut, she felt it might be a Kimber cut. She led me through the Kensight website for parts, but nothing matched. She told me to call back and she would speak to the rep who handles SIG. Call back the next day and she tells me she spoke with the President and was told that it is not a Kensight and that SIG was using “someone else” to produce these sights. So back to square one.

In the past I have seen something about SIG or it’s parent having a factory in maybe Bulgaria that was producing some of the grips for pistols now? Im wondering if SIG may be producing many items in house now.

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
the Super Target is unique in that it has a @ 1.5mm hex set screw that is inside the dovetail, which I believe is used to lock the elevation screw adjustment?

I don't have that sight on my 1911s but I have never seen any sight that contains a screw to lock an adjustment.
When you say the set screw is inside the dovetail, it leads me to believe it is to secure the sight in case it was a loose fit, like some Bomar type sights have.

Do any of these parts look like what you need?
LPA Replacement parts @ Kensight

That's the parts list that the rep I spoke with me suggested to look at. Unfortunately the set screws shown are to short. I have yet to find any description of what the purpose of this particular set screw is for. For now the rear sight even sans the set screw is firmly fixed to the slide.

Thanks.

Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:

I don't have that model, but I do have a P220 10mm, which has what appears to be the same adjustable rear, and more so from your description. My set screw is M3 x 0.5. I ordered some ahead of time, figuring the time might come I needed it (some people had rear sights loosening). I got them from McMaster Carr, of course only in bags of 25, so I have plenty of extras. I have 3 types, with a pointed tip, a cupped tip, and a sort of rounded blunt tip. I used the pointy one, using the screw itself to mark its location in the dovetail, then drilled a tiny hole there, screwed it in with loctite. Since my sights were dead on for windage anyway. The set screw (at least the way I installed mine) locks side-to-side movement of the sight, and helps secure it to the dovetail. If you use the cupped or blunted one, you could probably secure the sight and have both windage and elevation. You still have elevation adjustment regardless.

If you would like, I will send you one of each if you will email your address. If yours are indeed 1.5mm long, however, mine won't work for you.

ETA, I gave an incomplete call-out on the size. They are M3 x 0.5 x 3mm long.

Thank you very much for the kind offer.

Which model of the 220 do you have? Like it?

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:

The P220-10mm SAO, all Nitron. It has the 5" barrel like yours, and a very similar profile in looking at comparison pix. Just let me know if you want a few of the M3 x 0.5 x 3mm screws, even if only to try out.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
So here is an update, I received a replacement rear sight from SIG. The best I can tell the only function of the set screw is to lock in the elevation screw.

Part number 1911237-R UPC 798681530717

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DC3S,

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Is this the screw you're talking about (the bottom one)? If so, that's the same location as mine, but yours is much longer than mine (6mm vs 3mm), but about the same diameter (3mm, hard to tell with it just laying next to a rule). I measured mine with a calipers and screw pitch gauge. If we're talking about the same location, we must have different sights, or yours is a revised model or something else. It otherwise looks almost exactly like mine. Assuming we're talking about the same location of the screw, I can see how yours would stick up enough from the sight base to hit the leaf and limit elevation travel. Mine goes into the dovetail and sits flush or slightly below the sight base itself, so the elevation adjustment has full travel. My screw only locks the sight base to the dovetail. I have full elevation and windage adjustment. But I don't need all of that extra elevation adjustment either. Once assembled and sighted in, the elevation leaf is raised up a good bit and under tension, so maybe your longer screw is not really "interfering" with any elevation adjustment, it just takes up part of what you don't need. And by having the leaf start from resting on the top of the screw, it helps keep the screw from loosening, which was the whole problem to begin with. Maybe this is how SIG solved the problem of the screws backing out.

Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:

Is this the screw you're talking about (the bottom one)? If so, that's the same location as mine, but yours is much longer than mine (6mm vs 3mm), but about the same diameter (3mm, hard to tell with it just laying next to a rule). I measured mine with a calipers and screw pitch gauge. If we're talking about the same location, we must have different sights, or yours is a revised model or something else. It otherwise looks almost exactly like mine. Assuming we're talking about the same location of the screw, I can see how yours would stick up enough from the sight base to hit the leaf and limit elevation travel. Mine goes into the dovetail and sits flush or slightly below the sight base itself, so the elevation adjustment has full travel. My screw only locks the sight base to the dovetail. I have full elevation and windage adjustment. But I don't need all of that extra elevation adjustment either. Once assembled and sighted in, the elevation leaf is raised up a good bit and under tension, so maybe your longer screw is not really "interfering" with any elevation adjustment, it just takes up part of what you don't need. And by having the leaf start from resting on the top of the screw, it helps keep the screw from loosening, which was the whole problem to begin with. Maybe this is how SIG solved the problem of the screws backing out.

I added two more pictures. Yes this sight is almost a mirror image of others I have seen on SIG's, except for this set screw. Have only seen this on the Super Target.

Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The P220-10mm SAO, all Nitron. It has the 5" barrel like yours, and a very similar profile in looking at comparison pix. Just let me know if you want a few of the M3 x 0.5 x 3mm screws, even if only to try out.

Very nice choice. I have the 220 MSE now, very happy with that, still I wish a had picked up the SAO Super Match when I had the chance at a good price.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
First I hear of metric set screws in a Sig.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
First I hear of metric set screws in a Sig.

I got the information on the size right here, from an older thread on the P220-10mm rear adjustable sight. It sure enough is metric, though. I checked the old one I took out with a thread gauge and calipers before trying to insert the new one, just to make sure the information was correct, and that I didn't bugger up the threads in the sight by inserting one that was the wrong size/thread pitch.

I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I have room to learn something every day.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post