SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sear spring replacement p226
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sear spring replacement p226 Login/Join 
posted
I bought 3 new sear springs, but here’s what happened:

I disassembled my German 226, and the sear spring came out from under the pin. I’ve never had this happen before. It’s a used gun, and I’ve never replaced the sear spring. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, are there any tools you can buy that are v shaped? I don’t want to spend $40 on the sig armorer tool. Thanks!

Posts: 361 | Location: Keystone State | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're just having to set the leg of the sear spring under the fixed pin, a small screwdriver will suffice. Or, you could grind/file a notch in the blade of a small screwdriver.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it common for the seat spring to unseat itself during field stripping?

Posts: 361 | Location: Keystone State | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It is not common. Cases have been reported here where the pin that restrains the spring tail have come loose from the frame.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
It is not common. Cases have been reported here where the pin that restrains the spring tail have come loose from the frame.

Losing the sear spring pin happened to me long ago with a P226, so you should ensure that the pin is still firmly in place.

I have never heard, however, of the spring’s slipping out of place when the gun was field stripped. Check to see as well that the spring isn’t broken.

For a tool to manipulate the sear spring, it’s easy to modify a small screwdriver or, as pictured at upper right below, a magnetic tool tip. A small Dremel cutoff wheel works perfectly for the purpose.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone’s help. I found a tool from a watch repair kit that works perfectly.

Picture of billinaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RedSoxMD:
Thanks for everyone’s help. I found a tool from a watch repair kit that works perfectly.

Can you point me in the direction of that tool???

Posts: 159 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trust me, you don't need a special tool for this job.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Although not necessary because needle nose pliers or even a small straight tip screwdriver will work, the old SIG armorer tool has a screwdriver-like tip with a small notch cut into the tip. That helps prevent the spring leg from slipping off when being manipulated. I modified a small Brownells Magnatip screwdriver blade by cutting a small notch with a Dremel cutoff wheel.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post