SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    New magazine problems

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New magazine problems Login/Join 
Picture of rwilli
posted
I just purchased a Sig 229 police turn-in which was in absolute new condition, complete with the cosmoline coating. I disassembled both the pistol and magazines and spent quite a bit of time cleaning them prior to use. On my first range trip, The pistol fired flawlessly---except for a couple of rounds that failed to feed. At close inspection, it was clear that the rounds were nose diving. Both magazines were very rough and difficult to load. In one magazine, I could only load nine rounds in it, then it would bind up. Even with mechanical leverage, I couldn't press the follower down any further. I disassembled the mags at the range and checked for dirt and grime, and I re-oiled them, but still, same problem. The follower seemed to get stuck partway down.

I did shoot 150 rounds with only the first couple of rounds that failed to load, otherwise, the pistol ran flawlessly.

I do have a 226 in 9mm and I shoot both Sig and Mec-gar mags in it with zero failures or issues.

When I got home, I disassembled the mags again, cleaned them again and lightly hit the followers with some fine emery cloth. Then greased them with weapon shield grease and reassembled. This seemed to help a little, But I still had to use the magloader to get those last 3 rounds in the mag and it still looks like the follower doesn't always push the nose of the round up.

Any ideas on how to get these mags to smooth out and operate normally.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 10 | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not lube a magazine.

Clean and dry for me.

Posts: 1079 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Thanks

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Picture of Chris Orndorff
posted Hide Post
Ditto on dry mags. Make sure the mag spring is installed correctly. Seems simple enough, but I've seen them put in wrong.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Now an FFL licensee, working on SIGs and other assorted firearms. My email is in my profile.

Posts: 8225 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Ditto on dry mags. Make sure the mag spring is installed correctly. Seems simple enough, but I've seen them put in wrong.

I have checked and double checked spring orientation and I made sure the spring was fitting the follower correctly, but still no luck.

Thanks

Samuel Adams