SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    I f'd up my P220 hammer reset spring...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I f'd up my P220 hammer reset spring... Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone,

I'm getting back into the SIG game after being away for about a dozen years (i.e. marriage, kids, bad divorce). However, I clearly forgotten something from my SIG armorer's course as I bent the hammer reset spring on my P220.

I gave my old P220 a full strip down as it hadn't been shot for a long time, but upon reassembling it, the trigger didn't reset after the first pull. The trigger reset spring was properly positioned, but a quick disassembly revealed the bent hammer reset spring.

Will someone please tell me what trick I missed when installing the hammer, hammer reset, and hammer strut components? I think I (foolishly) pulled the trigger with only those components in the frame to verify I seated the hammer strut correctly in the hammer.

I'm about to order more parts from Brownells, but I don't want to mess them up too.

Thank you,
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Installing the hammer reset spring incorrectly and then destroying it by cocking the hammer is probably the most common assembly error. I first heard of it nearly a couple of decades ago.

There is really no trick to doing it correctly. It’s just a matter of ensuring that the forward leg of the spring is placed on top of the hammer strut pin (in the hammer) and kept there until the mainspring and hammer strut are installed. If at any time that leg of the spring is allowed to slip below the hammer strut pin, then it will be ruined the first time the hammer is cocked.

(As I recall) my assembly technique is this:

Install the hammer and hammer pivot pin in the frame. Keep the hammer rotated forward.

Put the hammer reset pin in the hammer stop (loosely), then put the two in the frame while ensuring the reset spring leg goes on top of the hammer strut pin.

It’s been a while since I’ve disassembled a Classic line pistol, but as I recall, if the hammer is allowed to rotate back fully, the reset spring will slip out of position and under the hammer strut pin, so keep the hammer forward during this process.

Again, keeping the hammer forward, drive the hammer stop pin through the frame, the hammer stop, and the loop in the reset spring. Be careful to ensure the pin is going through the loop, and that the pin hole isn’t blocked by the spring itself.

Checking to ensure the hammer reset spring is in proper position on top of the hammer strut pin, install the hammer strut, mainspring, and mainspring seat.

As a final check, ensure that the hammer reset spring is positioned properly before cocking the hammer.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I install the Hammer Reset Spring after the Hammer Assembly (boot, mainspring, strut, hammer) is installed.

For me, I've crushed more Hammer Reset Springs when I installed them before the Hammer Assembly then after the Hammer Assembly. I do remove the Hammer Reset Spring anytime I need to remove the Hammer Strut.

I'm less likely to miss the correct placement of the Spring's Leg when the Hammer Assembly is installed first.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:
I install the Hammer Reset Spring after the Hammer Assembly (boot, mainspring, strut, hammer) is installed.

Seems like a good idea to avoid having to keep the hammer in place.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all,

Thank you everyone for the advice. I do like the trick of installing the hammer reset spring *after* the hammer and hammer strut. I will do just that upon receipt of my replacement springs from Brownells. (Yes, I ordered multiples for my P220/6/8/9's.)

I stripped the pistol because it was left uncleaned in a safe for ~7 years. I must've oiled it well before shooting it because there wasn't a hint or rust anywhere. A good barrel scrubbing left it nice and shiny.

Thank you!
Ian

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming

Posts: 547 | Location: MA | Registered: March 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

I tried that myself yesterday, and it is definitely the way to do it. Thanks for the tip!

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Hello all,

I finally reassembled my P220! Installing the hammer reset spring assembly after the hammer and mainspring assemblies worked out well.

To answer DansSIGs' questions:
1. I did not originally remove the hammer stop assembly. I foolishly (and reportedly commonly) crushed the hammer reset spring by not positioning it over the hammer strut pin correctly.
2. I stripped everything else, except the magazine catch assembly because I knew it would be bad if done incorrectly, because the gun was put away dirty seven years ago.

I did have a momentary panic when I couldn't find the P220 ejector. Hah!

As I was going through my stash, I found a bunch of NOS parts kits from early 2000's and used one on this P220.

On a related note, I watched Chris Orndorff's 2005 armorer's course DVD prior to assembly and finally realized why I had such a hard time with firing pin positioning pins and roll pins - I wasn't engaging the safety lock and positioning the firing pin correctly. D-oh!

Thank you,
Ian