SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220ST intermittent slide doesn’t lock back AND take down lever hard to move
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220ST intermittent slide doesn’t lock back AND take down lever hard to move Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I have P220 ST that is exhibiting intermittent slide not locking back on empty mag. Mags work fine on other west german P 220. The last several years has been hard to move the take down lever. of course I didn’t deal with that finally decided to work on the slide not locking back issue. I have been through all 15 pages of the pinned page on that. Today I decided that it was the slide catch spring so found an old parts kit and grabbed the spring. worked the take down lever off and put in new old spring. slide catch lever acts like my other P220 until I put the take down lever. aha now spring is really tight. Even I can see that there is a connection between the two issues. I have a new firing pin block, I think some confusion about whether is stainless frame it is or carbon. I can try a different take down lever in the other block. What else could be going on?

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
I have P220 ST that is exhibiting intermittent slide not locking back on empty mag. Mags work fine on other west german P 220. The last several years has been hard to move the take down lever. of course I didn’t deal with that finally decided to work on the slide not locking back issue. I have been through all 15 pages of the pinned page on that. Today I decided that it was the slide catch spring so found an old parts kit and grabbed the spring. worked the take down lever off and put in new old spring. slide catch lever acts like my other P220 until I put the take down lever. aha now spring is really tight. Even I can see that there is a connection between the two issues. I have a locking insert though think some confusion about whether is stainless frame it is or carbon. I can try a different take down lever in the other locking insert, What else could be going on?

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Managed to get the take down lever to finally behave normally. That is a plus, swapped out locking blocks inserts till it finally hit a combination it liked. Empty mags will look back the slide. Will need a range visit to see how acts with live ammo. new spring, thumb not on release and shooting two handed so no limp writing.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markstempski:
Managed to get the take down lever to finally behave normally. That is a plus, swapped out locking blocks inserts till it finally hit a combination it liked. Empty mags will look back the slide. Will need a range visit to see how acts with live ammo. new spring, thumb not on release and shooting two handed so no limp writing.

Is looking more and more like I will need to swap out the slide catch lever though am still experimenting around with wolff springs for the 7 round mags, fewest problems and the 8 round ACT Mags. Any gotchas for the slide catch lever. I have the armorers DVD and the one from Grey Guns.

Banned
posted Hide Post
So replacing the slide catch lever and of course trigger pivot pin is not cooperating. Wants to bind. So new ones on order from Numrich. Maybe should have tried sig but my usual sources didn’t have them for 220 and I quit looking when found solution. Cleaned out lots of crud which didn’t help I am sure. Have some really nicely sprung mags now thanks to Wolff springs 7 and 8 rounders. The saga continues.

Banned
posted Hide Post
The last word here on the journey. Everything these days is a journey. So I replaced the slide catch bar and along the way cleaned up a lot of crud. New Sig 8 rounders work great. Older ACT and a couple of the 7 rounders that are 25 years old or so benefitted greatly from new springs from Wolff Springs. 10 rounders now also 15 or so years old got new springs from Top Gun Supply. So what was the magic? Probably the springs. I will lay in a supply. Course my older P220not an ST was nowhere near as picky. I don’t know why, never will likely.

posted Hide Post
Go on line and check out thesigarmorer . They worked wonders on my ST220. I was going to sell it because the DA sucked. Had them do the works, they test your mags and everything. Give him a call. I"ll never sell mine now. Fast service too. Very reasonable.

Posts: 9 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: October 19, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Psyco Dan:
Go on line and check out thesigarmorer . They worked wonders on my ST220. I was going to sell it because the DA sucked. Had them do the works, they test your mags and everything. Give him a call. I"ll never sell mine now. Fast service too. Very reasonable.

Worth a look thanks. I have finally assembled a group of mags for it. It is really partial to the factory mags which everyone wants the earth for when they have them. Thanks much