SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stuck .22LR case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuck .22LR case Login/Join 
Picture of RioGrande481
posted
I have a .22LR pistol that had a case stuck in the chamber from a blown rim. What tool, or method(s) can I use to get the case out?

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
The one time I had the same issue I used a new .22 rifle cleaning brush pushed down and slowly was able to move the case out. I have heard of people using a small screw and screwing it into the rim (if enough is left) and pulling it. I'm sure others will chime in on their experiences. Good luck

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
If some of the rim is still there, I've used a very small flat screwdriver (the smallest on my leatherman) to pry it out. If the rim is completly gone so that all you have is a thin ring of brass showing, I've used a small fishhook and a pair of needle nose. The fish hook was bent so the point, instead of curving in was pointed slightly out, then used the needle nose to push the bent fishhook into chamber where the bent-out hook tip dug into the brass sidewall and pulled it out. Note that I also sprayed it with some lube (wd40 I think) just so it would seep between chamber wall and brass and loosen it up a little. The fishhook trick was in the field where I didn't have any other tools with me, but did have fishing gear. I would assume that something similar could be used at home though.

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
The one time I had the same issue I used a new .22 rifle cleaning brush pushed down and slowly was able to move the case out. I have heard of people using a small screw and screwing it into the rim (if enough is left) and pulling it. I'm sure others will chime in on their experiences. Good luck

Rio, I would try this first. Spray some gun oil down the barrel, let it sit a while with the barrel pointing up, then either use a wooden dowel or cleaning rod, and push the case out.

If you use a wooden dowel smaller than the inside diameter of the inside of the 22 casing, you could probably use the gentle persuasion of a light hammer to help.

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
If some of the rim is still there, I've used a very small flat screwdriver (the smallest on my leatherman) to pry it out. If the rim is completly gone so that all you have is a thin ring of brass showing, I've used a small fishhook and a pair of needle nose. The fish hook was bent so the point, instead of curving in was pointed slightly out, then used the needle nose to push the bent fishhook into chamber where the bent-out hook tip dug into the brass sidewall and pulled it out. Note that I also sprayed it with some lube (wd40 I think) just so it would seep between chamber wall and brass and loosen it up a little. The fishhook trick was in the field where I didn't have any other tools with me, but did have fishing gear. I would assume that something similar could be used at home though.

Interesting way to do it.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
quote:

I tried the new cleaning brush trick. It worked on the first. Now to try it on another.

Going to keep a new .22lr wire cleaning brush in my range bag.

Thanks!

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RioGrande481:
quote:

Glad to hear it worked for you

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DansSIGs:

Do NOT use any type of wood to attempt pushing any stuck case out of any chamber.

Why not?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Using wood to push something out of a barrel or chamber can be risky because it can split or mushroom and jam in places that make things worse than they were originally.

That said, like anything judgment and caution are the key. Moderate amounts of carefully applied force are unlikely to create serious problems; dropping a dowel down a bore and whaling away on it with a three-pound hammer is more likely to cause unhappy results.

There are, of course, people for whom “caution” and “prudence” are meaningless words and should just be told, “Don’t do it!” but that’s not all of us.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

If you use a wooden dowel smaller than the inside diameter of the inside of the 22 casing, you could probably use the gentle persuasion of a light hammer to help.

Agree

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Putting it in a freezer first can help too. The brass with shrink in size more than steel.

Posts: 43 | Location: Long Island | Registered: September 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post