SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    229/.40 Replacement Recoil Spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229/.40 Replacement Recoil Spring Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Who makes the best replacement spring for a SIG 229/.40? Should I get the OEM, the Wolff, someone else?

Also, what weight should I go with? I don't have any problem cycling the slide, so I don't need a low power spring for ease of use. Will a heavier spring protect the frame better or is the standard weight the best?

Thank you.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the standard Sig OEM RS in my P229 .40 since 1996. It handles SD ammo, ball and my mid-range reloads with no issues. Gun has over 48,000 rounds through it and looks nicely broken in.

I use standard weight Wolff in my 1911's. They also handle SD ammo, ball and my mid-range reloads with no issues. I've never owned a pistol that had a problem using the standard weight RS wiith all three classes of ammo.

Here's some Wolff info regarding selection of pistol RS's:

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=FAQ

Generally, you'd use a heavier spring for continuous use of hotter (+P) loads. If you used very light bullseye-style reloads you might want a lighter spring.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I use range ammo, reloads and a few SD rounds in my gun. Sounds like no need for a HD spring. I don't shoot heavy stuff through them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Wolfe is fine, I've used many in Sigs, HK's and just about every other brand handgun out there.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post