SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    22 kit galling?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 kit galling? Login/Join 
Press hard,
Three copies
posted
Has anyone ever experienced galling with the 22 kit aluminum slide on the P-series aluminum frame? Asking because I saw it referenced on another forum in regard to the Beretta 22 kit on 92 lowers. The safe bet was use a bit of zinc anti-seize thinned out with your preferred oil/lube on the rails.

I know there were issues with the 220ST and galling but hadn’t thought of the aluminum on aluminum being an issue.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I only had about 500- 600 rounds through the one for my 229,no galling. Just used a light film of grease.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A little grease on the rails of the 22 conversion on my 226 and no galling or apparent wear after 1500 rounds....

Character is doing the right thing even when no one else will know...

Posts: 50 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: June 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a kit on several guns.
1911's Sig(gsg) Marvel unit 1, marvel unit 2

I was able to put those on alloy frames and use grease to keep it from damaging the frame. downside, cleaning is necessary at 250-500 rounds.

I have had 2 226, a 220, a 228 exchange kit. None of these do well with grease. TW25, lucas, shooters choice what ever. after 100 rounds I get failures to feed. So I run them well oiled on the rails. then my cleaning regimen is much further out, usually 700 to 1000.

now as to wear on the frame. You are putting a new slide on a frame. Those two sliding bits of metal have to mesh.

How you make something flat.
You can not make something truely flat by rubbing two things together. There will always be a high spot and a low spot. There will always be some sort of dishing when you run two parts together.

You can make something truly flat by rubbing 3 parts together. When you rub 3 parts, swapping one of the 3 out for another, you get a truly flat edge.

So, to a certain degree, adding a 3rd part, aka 2nd slide, will flatten out the high spots on a frame. Making it closer to square and flat. If the frame see's excessive wear then there is cause for concern.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation, I hadn’t heard of it either. It sounded kinda odd that proper regular lubrication wouldn’t prevent any issue. I only have a couple hundred rounds through my 229 kit and it functions fine with a light coat of SLIP EWL grease with SLIP EWL30 added. I just received my Beretta 92 kit today and will lube it the same and not worry about

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post