SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG 229 Trigger Catches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 229 Trigger Catches Login/Join 
posted
Just noticed tonight that when my slide is back and I pull the trigger, it catches. I got home and took the grips off (E2-not easy) and noticed that when the slide is back, the trigger bar just barely nicks the piece that releases the hammer (sear?). I bought the gun used and it was in really good condition, but I noticed the magazine release was on the right side of the gun. (Kind of like it there) Could the trigger bar spring be holding the bar up just a little bit? Maybe bent? Your thoughts? The gun shoots fantastic.

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like the disconnect tab on the trigger bar may be worn such that it is not completely disconnecting the trigger bar from the sear. You may be close to going automatic.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
It sounds to me like the disconnect tab on the trigger bar may be worn such that it is not completely disconnecting the trigger bar from the sear. You may be close to going automatic.

GaryBF
I did some online research and what you say could be the problem. The disconnect tab is not rounded like my 226. The is a definite difference in height. I did notice at one point, that the trigger bar would stay in the lowered position until I moved the trigger. I have since corrected this. I am ordering another trigger bar. I noticed that if I manually push done on the disconnect, the catching is gone.

The first pic is my 226 disconnect tab. The second is the 229.
http://i16.photobucket.com/alb...0967_zps96odhnzt.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/alb...0966_zpsyixywkmp.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: inspector710,

Posts: 52 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
I don't see a significant difference in the disconnector tab in the two pictures. Is the trigger bar spring seated correctly? It should be in the notch on the trigger bar (green circle), not in the hole (red circle). The pic is a P220 image I stole form the net, but your trigger bar should look similar wrt the spring position.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
That old P220 has the wrong Trigger bar spring on it. Nothing to do with our question though.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The trigger bar and spring were installed correctly. I'm trying to get another trigger bar-I already have the spring kit. My trigger bar is stamped 801. I bought one, but it was stamped 463, which is supposed to work in a 229, but is too big at the hammer end-the bar won't lower. Looks like Photobucket is down right now.
https://share.icloud.com/photo...W4IW7vy3msxdzNpQeJ-A

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
triggerbars by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inspector710:
The trigger bar and spring were installed correctly. I'm trying to get another trigger bar-I already have the spring kit. My trigger bar is stamped 801. I bought one, but it was stamped 463, which is supposed to work in a 229, but is too big at the hammer end-the bar won't lower. Looks like Photobucket is down right now.

Is the 473 bar for a DAK?

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what it is for, but all the ones for sale on auction sites are 473.

Picture of Sigman940
posted Hide Post
Trigger Bar #473 is for P226, P229 DA/SA in Black Super Finish with the following caveats.

Here is what a listing on ebay states.

This is a listing for a Sig P226-P229 DA/SA New Trigger Bar ( One Unit ). The replacement Trigger Bar is stamped 473 on the inside of the trigger bar and can be seen through the top of the magazine well for inspection identification.

This upgraded Trigger Bar will not inter change with the older model German Frames Models in the P226/P228 models.

They are for the Classic Line Sig Pistols with Frames made in the US between 2009 and 2014.

They will not fit in Stainless Steel Models in the P226/P229-SS Models

New Factory- Old Inventory

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigman940,

~ ante omnia armari

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigman940:
They are for the Classic Line Sig Pistols with Frames made in the US between 2009 and 2014.

This statement makes me think that these bars, much like GGI's new SOT trigger bar, will only fit in Sig frames with the DAK cut-out.

Picture of Sigman940
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAFO:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigman940:

This statement makes me think that these bars, much like GGI's new SOT trigger bar, will only fit in Sig frames with the DAK cut-out.

I agree, the newer T.B. (#473) are taller in the back portion so they are not compatible with older P-Series pistols with the standard cut-out trigger bar area. Having said that, I believe that it wasn't until 2005 that SIG started to make most aluminum framed pistols with the DAK cut-out and I am not sure if any newer steel framed pistols ever did.

Standard cut-out

DAK cut-out

~ ante omnia armari

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New trigger bar fixed the problem.. Also a new bar spring. Thanks to all those that helped.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
New trigger bar fixed the problem.

That's good news, but don't leave us wondering. Did you get the new 473 trigger bar to work or did you get a different one.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
quote:
New trigger bar fixed the problem.

That's good news, but don't leave us wondering. Did you get the new 473 trigger bar to work or did you get a different one.

Gary BF

The 473 would not work. I had to send it back. I e mailed Brownells and asked if there trigger bars were stamped 801. They were. Listed for around $52.00 and I paid around $36.00.

UPDATE: The 473 trigger bar is for the DAK compatible frame. The 801 if for the standard frame.

avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
I have a regular alloy framed P226. It has the DAK cutout in the frame and frame says frame made in Germany. I just removed an 801 Trigger bar and placed a 473 Trigger bar in with no trouble. The DAK cut German frames must accept both of these Trigger bars. It came with a 801 and now has a 473.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post