SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Early p226 slide ID & questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early p226 slide ID & questions Login/Join 
posted
I recently acquired a 1987 (JH stamped, Herndon) p226 slide and barrel assembly that I need help evaluating. It appears to have the Sig grey PVD finish but I'm not familiar with the various finishes. Did Sig make early slides in grey PVD? It could be a refinish but it is in excellent condition. A label on the bubble wrap that came with it says:
SIG226SS
SLIDE, 226 GREY MILITARY
EX/LN COMPLETE SIG SLIDE
ACCES SIG
This seems to indicate stainless steel so it may not be associated with this slide.
The barrel is a later 9mm with a dull black finish, allegedly like the Navy Seal version. Any ideas on what this slide is? Pix attached. I hope. Nope, dang this is hard.
20180612_071216_HDR
20180612_071900_HDR
20180612_070909_HDR
20180612_071422_HDR
20180612_071026_HDR
20180612_071156_HDR
20180612_071449_HDR
20180612_075517_HDR

Posts: 16 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Photos must be hosted elsewhere and then linked here. This is one recent thread on the subject:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/6470098434

There were no stainless steel slides back then. "SS" usually means Siglite night sights.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought I was downloading photos from Flickr. The page I was on did not look like the screenshots on the link, which I looked at earlier. Must have missed a step.
I know Sig didn't do stainless back then. I thought the label could have been from a later slide.
Thanks for the ss tip. The sights don't look like Siglites, though.

posted Hide Post

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Refinished

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, parabellum. I was afraid that might be the case - sold with a misleading packaging label. Can you tell if it is grey PVD or some other finish? Any idea of the value? Will it work on a German p228?
Wish I had found this forum earlier. Live and learn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aimhigher,

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, this slide will not work with a P228. I don't know what is the finish.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, again parabellum.
So, Sig did not make a grey finish in 1987? Sorry for the dumb question; just trying to learn.

posted Hide Post
No.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
No real value, as a common slide with a mismatched barrel. Is it a SIG or aftermarket?

There are too many unscrupulous people misrepresenting what they’re selling. Caveat emptor. Did you think the seller was offering it as a MIL Slide?

If you could find a lower for cheap, it should still be a great shooter. If the anodizing and finish underneath the coating was intact, I’d remove the grey and leave it as is. I like the look of an honest-wear old school classic SIG.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Sorry you got taken. Consider it a lesson and teach others. I was in your shoes a few years ago.

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks RB & Q. Here's my saga:
The eBay seller listed it as nickel but I knew it wasn't. Another early SIG slide-only looked similar but was apparently sold as nickel for ridiculous money. He did not call it Mil but the label was shown with it in pix. The barrel is a later Sig Sauer barrel with a black phosphate finish (I think) and the C stamp with a bright barrel which probably cost $180. He claimed he had bought it as a spare and run the assembly on his 226 then decided to sell. I thought it might be some special mil finish from the era.
I must disagree on the zero value, especially here in CA. I'd love to find a cheap frame but chances are slim, I think. I thought I had one but... I may have overpaid a little but it was less than a similar assembly, clearly refinished in black, offered on local forum for $400. I have sent him a message asking for info on how he got it and what he knows. He's ghosting me so far. May try for a refund through eBay. I told him in a message that his listing was incorrect but he did not correct it. I bought it anyway. Would make an interesting two-tone FRANKENSIG. Stupid idea, really.
O

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aimhigher:
Thanks RB & Q. Here's my saga:
The eBay seller listed it as nickel but I knew it wasn't. Another early SIG slide-only looked similar but was apparently sold as nickel for ridiculous money. He did not call it Mil but the label was shown with it in pix. The barrel is a later Sig Sauer barrel with a black phosphate finish (I think) and the C stamp with a bright barrel which probably cost $180. He claimed he had bought it as a spare and run the assembly on his 226 then decided to sell. I thought it might be some special mil finish from the era.
I must disagree on the zero value, especially here in CA. I'd love to find a cheap frame but chances are slim, I think. I thought I had one but... I may have overpaid a little but it was less than a similar assembly, clearly refinished in black, offered on local forum for $400. I have sent him a message asking for info on how he got it and what he knows. He's ghosting me so far. May try for a refund through eBay. I told him in a message that his listing was incorrect but he did not correct it. I bought it anyway. Would make an interesting two-tone FRANKENSIG. Stupid idea, really.
O

Barrels: Circle C stamp is standard Exeter made. DE marked is a German made.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The barrel is certainly US made but the meaning of the C stamp in the lower left of the left side seems to be a mystery according to what I've read.

posted Hide Post
Can anyone identify the approximate date/era that the label would have been used?
O

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone identify the approximate date/era that the label would have been used?
O

If you mean the label that came on the bubble wrap, I think that's someone's homemade label.

It probably means (incorrectly):

SIG226 Stainless Steel
SLIDE 226, GREY MILITARY
EXCELLENT/LIKE NEW COMPLETE SIG SLIDE
ACCESSORY SIG

RB

posted Hide Post
An earlier poster said ss usually meant Siglite night sight back then.
Homemade is bad.

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Homemade is bad.
The label was NOT printed by SIG, it can mean whatever the guy that printed it WANTS it to mean, or whatever you WISH it meant, it means NOTHING. That's what it means. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Homemade is bad.

What SIG meant and what the guy who whipped up the homemade label meant are two different things.

RB

posted Hide Post
Thank you, both, for pointing out the painfully obvious.