SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Recoil spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil spring Login/Join 
Picture of 808
posted
Ordered a new standard 16 lb Wolff spring for my P229 R DAK and noticed it is just a single wire coil unlike the triple on the original.

Think it may cause problems or not .
Any experience out there on this .

Have not had time to test fire yet.

Think it may cause more wear or just thinking to much into this ?

Posts: 1231 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
or just thinking to much into this ?

Over thinking. It will be just fine. Carry on.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I don’t like the wolff springs, just blind prejudice perhaps. I have lots of them and they go on range guns but not on carry guns. Now torn with the Grey guns captured springs. Fortunately they are really expensive and just for full size 220s and 226s. would not have gotten them but they hooked me with th half off christmas deal. Should have just gotten one of the flat triggers.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
Think it may cause problems or not .

I'm pretty sure I saw a post once regarding the end of the single wire spring pinched between the guide rod and the opening in the slide, locking the slide.

Hence the creation of fat guide rods for use with the Wolf springs to prevent this.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
I'm pretty sure I saw a post once regarding the end of the single wire spring pinched between the guide rod and the opening in the slide, locking the slide.

Yes, that is correct. The single wire spring can come pretty close to escaping around the front of the recoil spring guide under normal circumstances. My recollection is that Bruce Gray specifically stated that the fat rod was developed after he suffered the malfunction with the thinner single strand (Wolff?) recoil spring.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfruend,

Hopefully, that mess the other night in CO wasn't in your neighborhood.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GP229:
Sigfruend,

Hopefully, that mess the other night in CO wasn't in your neighborhood.

Fortunately, no.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post