SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    RESOLVED- Thank you Robert Burke! forgot to install TDL before slide on P228
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RESOLVED- Thank you Robert Burke! forgot to install TDL before slide on P228 Login/Join 
posted
Did a really dumb thing this evening. I was reassembling a P228, got distracted and put the slide on before the TDL, which was totally removed. Now I can’t remove the slide. I can see the recoil spring assembly in the TDL hole. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gocatgo,

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
What guide rod do you have in the gun?
Hope its a hollow factory guide rod!
If so can you see or access the open end of the guide rod? If its hollow try getting a threaded screw or bolt that you can get to go into the opening and grab onto the guide rod so that you can pull on the guide rod and compress the recoil spring. Its going to take a lot to compress the recoil spring enough to get it back on the Bbl lug. While compressing you may have to take a small object and go under the guide rod through the TDL opening to push up on the TDL to catch the Bbl lug.
Haven't ever done this so bear with me. You may also need to tape the slide to the frame to stop any movement between the two.
Also if you have a solid after market guide rod it may need to be drilled and taped to accept a screw to pull on.

Really hope your not screwed as this sounds bad. Might try to give Robert a call and see if he has any better ideas. I can text him if you need me too!

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Well you jinxed me!

I pulled my P228 apart to see what was going on and on re-assembly I left the damn TDL out but it was with a LaserMax guide rod laser installed which has a large/shouldered battery end cap which holds the guide rod end up a bit. It was tight and I couldn't remove the slide. Had to slap the hammer end of the slide to get the slide off the frame with no damage to the end cap but it was plastic. You may have to do the same. Still hope you have the factory guide rod installed as the flange end is just rolled metal and will/should break or roll straight easier then an aftermarket guide rod.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Another question for you Theresa!

Looking through the hole in the frame where the TDL goes is the locking insert in place as in the two holes are centered together or has the locking insert shifted and the two holes slightly out of alignment.

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Just texted with Robert TheSigArmorer and he tried to recreate it with no luck. Said he was tied up right now so cannot post here but said to drop by his shop with it and he would fix it for you no charge.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I did the same ONCE with one of my SIG pistols. I panicked, but was able to fix it. It's been awhile since then and I can't recall what I did. It wasn't using a screw in the recoil spring though. I have a padded bench vice and manipulated it somehow, might have been the hammer technique. I should go try to recreate it...not!

What I do now every time I remove the take down lever is to place a red tie wrap through the take down lever hole to remind me not to be in a rush.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Well you jinxed me!

I pulled my P228 apart to see what was going on and on re-assembly I left the damn TDL out but it was with a LaserMax guide rod laser installed which has a large/shouldered battery end cap which holds the guide rod end up a bit. It was tight and I couldn't remove the slide. Had to slap the hammer end of the slide to get the slide off the frame with no damage to the end cap but it was plastic. You may have to do the same. Still hope you have the factory guide rod installed as the flange end is just rolled metal and will/should break or roll straight easier then an aftermarket guide rod.

Hey there Mustang, great to see you!!
Of course my luck has it that it is not a factory guide rod, but is indeed a Lasermax guide rod. Could you email me Robert’s contact info, or have him contact me? The only info I have is from years ago when his shop was in his garage, I bet he’s got another place now.

-------------------

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Looking through the hole in the frame where the TDL goes is the locking insert in place as in the two holes are centered together or has the locking insert shifted and the two holes slightly out of alignment.

Looks to be in alignment.

-------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I did the same ONCE with one of my SIG pistols. I panicked, but was able to fix it. It's been awhile since then and I can't recall what I did. It wasn't using a screw in the recoil spring though. I have a padded bench vice and manipulated it somehow, might have been the hammer technique. I should go try to recreate it...not!

What I do now every time I remove the take down lever is to place a red tie wrap through the take down lever hole to remind me not to be in a rush.

That’s a good idea about the red tie wrap. But after countless times of disassembly and reassembly I didn’t think I’d do a bone head thing like this. Going to get a red tie wrap...

-------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gocatgo:
quote:

Looks to be in alignment.

Never mind. I just racked the slide trying one more time, and now it’s out of alignment.

-------------------

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I just sent you an email... Smile

posted Hide Post
Thanks!! I will contact the Sig Whisperer. This was the first Sig I ever took to him for a work over.

-------------------

avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did a really dumb thing this evening. I was reassembling a P228, got distracted and put the slide on before the TDL, which was totally removed. Now I can’t remove the slide. I can see the recoil spring assembly in the TDL hole. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

YES - Do not ever take the Takedown lever out of your P228 again. The pistol can be field stripped by only turning the TDL clockwise. Leave it in.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjgiie:
quote:
Thanks in advance.

YES - Do not ever take the Takedown lever out of your P228 again. The pistol can be field stripped by only turning the TDL clockwise. Leave it in.

Normally I do. But the Lasermax has its own TDL, and my intention was to change out to a solid guide rod and stock TDL.

-------------------

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
T, sorry you are experiencing this frustrating difficulty. I've been known to pull bone headed moves myself, so I'm always willing to learn from others.

Please keep us informed as to what the ultimate fix will be for this issue.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
T, sorry you are experiencing this frustrating difficulty. I've been known to pull bone headed moves myself, so I'm always willing to learn from others.

Thanks for the encouraging words my friend. The issue is resolved. Robert Burke is The Man! The Sig Whisperer! I am lucky enough to live a short drive from him, so the ill P228 was taken to his shop today. At first my misstep had created a situation that momentarily stumped The Man of Sigs. But he quickly figured out the solution to the puzzle, freeing up my slide AND saving the $$$ Lasermax guide rod as well. I had been prepared to have to sacrifice the guide rod to fix my mistake. And not a mark left on the gun. While there he looked up his record of when he did the original “works” to this P228. I was his second customer, way back in 2010. Like a fine wine, it appears his skills have become even better with time.

Over the top accolades, but it’s hard to exaggerate his skills on a Sig. He also did a Colt 1911 for me, with excellent results.

-------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:

Thanks for the encouraging words my friend. The issue is resolved. Robert Burke is The Man! The Sig Whisperer! I am lucky enough to live a short drive from him, so the ill P228 was taken to his shop today. At first my misstep had created a situation that momentarily stumped The Man of Sigs. But he quickly figured out the solution to the puzzle, freeing up my slide AND saving the $$$ Lasermax guide rod as well. I had been prepared to have to sacrifice the guide rod to fix my mistake. And not a mark left on the gun. It appeared that perhaps the Lasermax had rotated or slipped, causing a jam that wouldn’t give. While there he looked up his record of when he did the original “works” to this P228. I was his second customer, way back in 2010. Like a fine wine, it appears his skills have become even better with time.

Over the top accolades, but it’s hard to exaggerate his skills on a Sig. He also did a Colt 1911 for me, with excellent results.

-------------------

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.
Always good news when something like that gets resolved.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the encouraging words my friend. The issue is resolved. Robert Burke is The Man! The Sig Whisperer!

Outstanding! I love a happy ending. Can you share any clues as to how the SIG whisperer fixed this issue? ...or, maybe this is a proprietary fix and if you told us you would have to kill us? Wink

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha! I told Robert we should have videoed it, but he said then it probably wouldn’t have worked!
After trying all the usual ways, no luck. He was thinking the guide rod (a Lasermax) had shifted or rotated. The slide could be pulled back but wouldn’t budge forward. He had an idea to try but cautioned it may destroy the guide rod. I agreed, even though I cringed at the thought of losing all that $$ because of my mistake. With the slide back, he secured the front of the guide rod in a vise. He then tugged on the frame, which brought the guide rod into alighnment, and he slipped the slide right off. And the guide rod wasn’t even damaged.
He is The Sig Whisperer!

-------------------