SIGforum
SRT install: New hammer not required, apparently. What would you polish, while it's apart?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/5120032464

December 12, 2019, 03:17 PM
RNshooter
SRT install: New hammer not required, apparently. What would you polish, while it's apart?
Hey all-

I am helping my neighbor install a Short Reset Trigger kit into his stainless slide .40 cal P226. I have the Sig Armorer DVD and basic armorer skills.
My question is: A new hammer may not be required but how recommended is it? What should we inspect to decide if it is warranted? If it is warranted, will a good condition used hammer be okay or should we just go straight to a brand new one?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Edit: No new hammer. Got it.
What surfaces are safe to polish for a smoother trigger pull? I will be using Q-tips and Jewelers rouge so I don't alter any geometry between engagement surfaces. I just want to make things slick before lubing and reassembling.

Bruce

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RNshooter,

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
December 12, 2019, 03:50 PM
AZSigs
I had Sig do the install back when they didn't sell the SRT kits to the public. They didn't replace my hammer.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
December 12, 2019, 06:15 PM
GaryBF
It is probably not essential, but many here may recommend it. Round count is a consideration. There was a recent post where I recommened the OP install a new hammer with the SRT sear because the gun was 30 years old.
December 12, 2019, 06:53 PM
.38supersig
Can't think of a reason you'd need to unless there is physical damage or excessive wear.

If replacing the hammer is the way to go, be sure to check for variations made during production so you would be sure to get the same style hammer that came off if it.

December 13, 2019, 11:50 AM
sigfreund
This line of thinking is based on some assumptions, and therefore risky, but I must believe that if replacing the hammer along with the SRT kit was important for any significant reason, including safety, the hammer would be provided, or at least there would be prominent warnings about the need to do so.

The traditional advice was to replace both hammer and sear of DA/SA guns at the same time if one was changed, but the reason for even that was never clear to me. And even having pondered the question for years, no good explanation has ever occurred to me.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
December 13, 2019, 12:07 PM
RNshooter
New question in OP. What to polish?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken
December 13, 2019, 01:24 PM
tp1l
If you don't own it already, I would highly recommend picking up this DVD set: https://opspectraining.com/pro...auer-armorers-video/

It's been a while since I last watched it, so I can't give you a direct answer from memory, but among many, many other things in the video, Bruce goes over where it makes sense to polish components and where to leave them alone. It's a great resource all around!
December 13, 2019, 01:44 PM
9mmepiphany
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The traditional advice was to replace both hammer and sear of DA/SA guns at the same time if one was changed, but the reason for even that was never clear to me. And even having pondered the question for years, no good explanation has ever occurred to me.

Because the engagement surfaces of the hammer and sear have "worn in" together over time?

No, Daoism isn't a religion