SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig p-228 phosphate locking insert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig p-228 phosphate locking insert Login/Join 
posted
I notice Midwest Gunworks has various locking inserts for the sig p-228. One of the locking inserts is described as phosphated and is half the price of the others. I asked why the price was so much cheaper for the phosphate finish, and inquired if it was the correct locking insert for the folded slide sig p-228. They informed me they did not know why it was cheaper and did not know if it would fit my gun properly. I was told to call Sig Sauer regarding the suitability of this part for my gun. Does anyone know if the phosphate locking insert is OK for my gun? Is there a better choice for me?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: steam,

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have never seen any reference to different locking inserts for P228 pistols, and if it’s sold as being for the 228 I cannot imagine it wouldn’t work.

As for the phosphate finish, that provides a bit of extra corrosion protection by holding protective lube on the surface better. The “Why?” is very often a mystery with SIG guns and parts. A part finished like that could have been produced for some specific contract at some time and the overruns are now being sold.

The “why” of the price can also only be speculated. Perhaps the vendor got a batch of those parts at an exceptionally good price and realizes that many potential purchasers will be suspicious of whether there is something wrong with them. In my collection of spares I have a German-made 9mm P226 barrel that was returned to the vendor after the purchaser became frightened by its phosphate finish.

You could certainly call SIG, but I would not be surprised if some customer service rep had no idea of the answers to your questions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sigfreund,
Thanks for the information. I plan on ordering the locking insert, searching for breach block roll pins next!

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Phosphate internals are in the military M11 and the Mk25 for extra corrosion protection. Like you said, probably overrun stuff, so that's why they are cheaper. Buy and use with confidence. There is only one locking insert for the P228. It can be made with different finishes.

I remember a while back some vendor had a whole bunch of phosphate coated barrels for the P228 for very cheap. Probably military contract overrun, also.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
I am going to stir the pot a little bit. Midwest Gun Works sells the short extractor for the P225 and P228. Not the single old piece. I fought with MGW for months about selling the short extractor for the P228 and we did not get anywhere.

If you get the three dot Locking insert that should be the correct one. I am going to show two pictures. First is the Three dot along with Sold Out Page: Page

This is the correct one but it is sold out I think. Three dots

This is the Phosphated 1202381-R page

One of the pictures of the Phosphated one:
NO Dots

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjgiie,

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fjgiie:
One of the pictures of the Phosphated one:
NO Dots

SIG has used different marking conventions to identify locking inserts. I have personally seen numbers in various places and then dots on one side and then dots on both sides. It seems to me that the reinforcing bar between the two “wings” at the front of the part was added when they started to be made of MIM, and I have seen that in other model pistols. Older locking inserts do not have that bar.

At one time I tried collecting and categorizing the different systems for marking SIG Classic series pistols’ locking inserts, but finally gave up when it became too confusing.

The fact that a part doesn’t have “dots” doesn’t demonstrate that it’s not for the P228.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The fact that a part doesn’t have “dots” doesn’t demonstrate that it’s not for the P228.

Absolutely correct. Remember the early days, when the P229(9) was not around, the P228 locking insert had no markings and dots on the surface. Then, P229(9) started out having the "29" marking on the locking insert. And, SIG started using it on the P228, too, starting in 1997 (on the KH guns). And, later on, it's the 3 dots fjgiie talked about.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
avoiding birthday parties
Picture of fjgiie
posted Hide Post
Do you think this one is for a P228? It has one dot. This is what I was talking about at Midwest Gun Works. They call a P229 a P228 all the time. They should call it a M11-A1.

Posts: 1366 | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post