SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P239 guide rod question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 guide rod question Login/Join 
posted
I recently changed barrels on my P239 and at first, the slide would not work but it now seems to be doing okay so maybe it wasn't seated quite right. I did notice however that the end of the guide rod seems to be "riding up" a bit from the lug when I have taken the slide off to check the fit. I have not seen that occur with the previous .40 barrel so two questions...is this even a problem at all, and if so what's the best coarse? Maybe use a fine or ultra fine arkansas stone to the lug to make a better angle for the guide to fit into?

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The flange at the rear of the recoil spring guide makes primary contact with the takedown lever when the slide is assembled on the frame. Its contact with the unlocking lug on the barrel is mostly to keep everything together when the slide is removed from the frame. I believe, therefore, that how the flange fits against the lug isn’t very important, if at all, as long as the rod doesn’t slip off during disassembly and assembly.

In my experience trying to fix something that’s not broken or doesn’t need improving is only likely to cause unintended, and often undesirable, consequences.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't want to mess with it unless it is needed so I'll just see if anything occurs. It did occur to me to wonder if the barrel needed a small bit of fitting but i'll see how it goes before anything else. Thanks!

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Their is a video from BarSto and a video from Chris Orndorff (moderator for this page) that both had good advice to use when trying to fit a barrel.

I used those two videos and fitted a BarSto 9mm barrel so it works very well in my .40 239DAK SAS.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post