SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Mag Release is stuck....HELP

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mag Release is stuck....HELP Login/Join 
Picture of 21sports
posted
First off I'm a dumbass.

The mag release was on the right side of my 226 and I thought I would switch it back to the left side.

Well long story short I screwed up and now have the mag release stuck and can't remove it.

How the heck can I get it out??

Posts: 1626 | Location: OREGON | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
This is one of those sad tales that surface here from time to time.

First and foremost: Don’t try to force it out by removing the support plate and driving the catch out from that side. More likely than not, you will break a piece out of the frame.

The reason the catch is stuck is probably because the small “stop” was installed upside down. Some people have had luck in using a thin piece of something like feeler stock to manipulate the stop back into the proper position.

The last I heard the factory fix was to drill out the catch and replace it. The magazine catch is very hard steel, though, and people have damaged the frame by attempting it themselves, so that’s something to be aware of as well.

Good luck. Some others here may have additional suggestions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of 21sports
posted Hide Post
Well shoot that's what I thought I may hear.

Does anyone know if Sig will fix it if I send it in?

Any Forum members fix it?

posted Hide Post
Local gunsmith should take care of it. Call Sig customer service and ask for advice. They can fix it for sure if time is not a problem. My experience is that if you are very nice and patient most gun manufacturers will take care of you. Compared to all the other companies in the world they still have excellent customer service. Good luck.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
SIG has fixed the same problem for others and I cannot imagine they won’t still. If you take it to a local ’smith, talk to them to ensure they know what they’re doing. Someone who doesn’t can damage a gun just as easily as trying to do it ourselves.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Picture of 21sports
posted Hide Post
I'm in Oregon and Grayguns is only a :45 drive away. Sounds like it would be worth the drive.
Thanks

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21sports:
Sounds like it would be worth the drive.

Oh, yes!

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of Prince Herman
posted Hide Post
I believe that SIG will fix it for you one time.
Not sure it is just one time but that is what the armorer instructors say.

Posts: 512 | Location: S.E. Pa. | Registered: October 19, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told at every Sig armorers course I attended that Sig does this repair. Plenty of police armorers have made this mistake, and Sig is set up to take care of them.