SIGforum
Which mainspring for E2 229?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/4920014444

July 14, 2018, 07:54 PM
les45
Which mainspring for E2 229?
I just traded for a fairly new 229 E2 in 9mm. Looks like it has had a Grayguns master spring kit installed with the 17# mainspring (DA and SA are almost too light). The 19# spring is still in the envelope along with the old original mainspring. This will be my nightstand gun so I don't trust the 17# spring even though the previous owner said he had no problems in about 200 rounds (says he bought it with the spring kit already installed). Would it be reliable with the 19# spring or should I install the original (not sure what it's # rating is)?
July 14, 2018, 09:13 PM
GaryBF
Install the OEM mainspring and see how you like it. You can always drop back to the 19 lb. mainspring.
July 15, 2018, 02:05 PM
Nipper
I've used Wolff 19# mainsprings (AKA hammer springs) in my P229 and P226 for a decade with no issues. IIRC, GrayGuns uses 19# in their kits and action jobs.

The factory mainspring is rated at 20# nominally. I say nominally because Sig doesn't officially provide that info. Wolff Gunsprings currently rates the factory weight at 20#.

Wolff:
https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG...229/cID1/mID4/dID253

If you haven't played with reduced power mainsprings before, be aware that they reduce the weight of BOTH the DA and SA pulls. Personally, I've found the 17# springs function reliably (at least initially), but provide a slightly funky feel in the SA pull. As with any replacement mainspring, the gun should be tested with factory ammo if used for SD purposes.

July 15, 2018, 07:42 PM
wxl
Just replaced the spring in my 229 but need more range time. Used gun, installed SRT kit and the Wolf 18#. Dry firing the DA pull was slightly higher at ~9# and SA at 3 3/4#. Original spring was 8# and 3# and felt a bit mushy.

Will re evaluate after ~500 rounds.
July 16, 2018, 01:33 PM
JAFO
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
I've used Wolff 19# mainsprings (AKA hammer springs) in my P229 and P226 for a decade with no issues. IIRC, GrayGuns uses 19# in their kits and action jobs.

I think this applies to their duty kits. My 226 competition action job came back with a 17# mainspring.

I wouldn't go below 19# for a defensive gun, but try it and a factory spring with your chosen ammo. I've bought some range fodder that I could set off without a factory spring.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates