SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Trijicon Front Sight Broken During Installation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon Front Sight Broken During Installation Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I'm not completely certain what went wrong today though I did manage to break a Trijicon front sight during installation on my P365. Through my research, I determined dovetail dimensions are universal on all SIG pistols and confirmed this through the uneventful installation of the Trijicon rear sight. The tool I was using was a Fisher Solutions standard model which I have used before on other non-SIG pistols without incident. (I have a dedicated SIG/MGW sight tool though I cut corners by not ordering the correct slide shoe for the P365.) In preparation, a small amount of oil was applied to the dovetail and the sight was lightly tapped into position before using the tool. My suspicion is the slide became slightly canted when I began applying pressure, causing the sight to begin inserting at a slight angle to the slide. At the start everything looked okay but at about the half-way point, when I put another 1/4 turn on the adjustment bolt, the entire sight tilted instead of seating into the dovetail. When I removed the sight for inspection, it came out in two pieces. I am going to call Trijicon on Monday to see if they will sell me a front sight only. Oh, and I'm going to order the correct P365 slide shoe for my MGW tool. Photos attached.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Brownells has the front sights available

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The roughness of the broken surface makes me suspect that the strength of the metal wasn’t what it should be. I would call Trijicon and explain that although you thought you did everything right, the base broke. They may just send you a new sight. I once broke a SIG factory sight and the customer service rep just said, “Oh, that happens sometimes; we’ll send you a replacement.”

I still recommend using the proper tool. For the cost, it’s worth it to me to help avoid problems like this even if that wasn’t the cause.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Sigfruend. The porousness of where it broke, indicates a poor casting and poor metallurgy. Call trijicon, send them a picture, and they should warranty that and send you a new site.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise gentlemen. A free replacement front sight is on it's way from Trijicon.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good. Thanks for the update. It's always good to learn how these things turn out.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Could someone please confirm the front dovetail of the P365 is the same spec as other SIG P-Series pistols? I attempted to install my replacement Trijicon #6 Bright & Tough front sight and once again it wouldn't budge after reaching the half-way point. I'm reluctant to attempt applying any additional force since the first sight snapped at this point. Unfortunately, I do not have the original sight to compare with the Trijion replacement. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stay Classy!!
Picture of Crockett040
posted Hide Post
I always have to file the sights a bit to fit in Sig dovetails. Just be careful not to take too much off.

Posts: 397 | Location: Iowa | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
The problem with Fischer, and similar pushers, is they lack rigidity. When the pusher block is against the front sight blade, is should be as low as possible to reduce the tendency to bend the blade. However, as the force on the pusher is applied by the screw above the sight and pusher block, there will be that tendency for the bottom of the pusher block to cant away from the blade, and in doing so, place all the force at the top of the blade.

Compare the construction of these "box frame" pushers to the MGW and similar quality tools, and the difference is obvious.

My take is the pusher broke the sight and Trijicon is good at customer service (the latter is for sure, though!)

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumper:
The problem with Fischer, and similar pushers, is they lack rigidity. When the pusher block is against the front sight blade, is should be as low as possible to reduce the tendency to bend the blade. However, as the force on the pusher is applied by the screw above the sight and pusher block, there will be that tendency for the bottom of the pusher block to cant away from the blade, and in doing so, place all the force at the top of the blade.

Compare the construction of these "box frame" pushers to the MGW and similar quality tools, and the difference is obvious.

My take is the pusher broke the sight and Trijicon is good at customer service (the latter is for sure, though!)

After a second failed attempt I'm in complete agreement. The Fisher tool is less than ideal. I actually have a dedicated MGW sight tool for my classic P-Series pistols which I've used many times without incident. Unfortunately, I don't believe MGW offers a P365 slide shoe compatible with this older model tool. Since I've never had much luck with the hammer & punch method, I'm considering a new MGW model. After the sting of the initial investment, it's surprising how quickly they pay for themselves. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Try freezing the sight. It won't shrink much, but it's enough to make a difference.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
Try freezing the sight. It won't shrink much, but it's enough to make a difference.

I wouldn't take a chance on that as it might screw up the night site vial.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

If that were the case, then night sights would be a no-go for cold weather military units. I'm not talking about a -40 deep freeze, just a standard residential freezer at 0 degrees.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

People who live in climates where it gets cold on occasion might get a chuckle over that.

My freezer temperature now is +4 degrees. That’s the same temperature it was outside a couple of hours ago, but for many of the nights during the past several weeks, the overnight lows have been well below zero, sometimes dropping into the minus double digits. And my location isn’t the coldest in the country, or even in the state.

I don’t spend much time in such temperatures, but the handguns of law enforcement officers who might have to stand around at the scene of a traffic crash or other incident for hours certainly get that cold. During one memorable low light qualification session I conducted a few years ago the temperature dropped to –4°, and none of the very many night sights in use that evening failed as a result.
For a function test I once deliberately left a gun with night sights in my drafty, unheated garage overnight when the temperature hit –20°. The sights were fine, and I’ve never heard of any other sights failing because they were exposed to cold temperatures.

6.4/93.6

— Plato