SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Trijicon Front Sight Broken During Installation

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon Front Sight Broken During Installation Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
I'm not completely certain what went wrong today though I did manage to break a Trijicon front sight during installation on my P365. Through my research, I determined dovetail dimensions are universal on all SIG pistols and confirmed this through the uneventful installation of the Trijicon rear sight. The tool I was using was a Fisher Solutions standard model which I have used before on other non-SIG pistols without incident. (I have a dedicated SIG/MGW sight tool though I cut corners by not ordering the correct slide shoe for the P365.) In preparation, a small amount of oil was applied to the dovetail and the sight was lightly tapped into position before using the tool. My suspicion is the slide became slightly canted when I began applying pressure, causing the sight to begin inserting at a slight angle to the slide. At the start everything looked okay but at about the half-way point, when I put another 1/4 turn on the adjustment bolt, the entire sight tilted instead of seating into the dovetail. When I removed the sight for inspection, it came out in two pieces. I am going to call Trijicon on Monday to see if they will sell me a front sight only. Oh, and I'm going to order the correct P365 slide shoe for my MGW tool. Photos attached.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Brownells has the front sights available

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. FFL(01) NRA Endowment Member

Posts: 8261 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The roughness of the broken surface makes me suspect that the strength of the metal wasn’t what it should be. I would call Trijicon and explain that although you thought you did everything right, the base broke. They may just send you a new sight. I once broke a SIG factory sight and the customer service rep just said, “Oh, that happens sometimes; we’ll send you a replacement.”

I still recommend using the proper tool. For the cost, it’s worth it to me to help avoid problems like this even if that wasn’t the cause.

“Without its tough spearmen, Hellenic culture would have had nothing to give the world. It would not have lasted long enough. When Greek culture became so sophisticated that its common men would no longer fight to the death, as at Thermopylae, but became devious and clever, a horde of Roman farm boys overran them.”
— T. R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Posts: 39099 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Sigfruend. The porousness of where it broke, indicates a poor casting and poor metallurgy. Call trijicon, send them a picture, and they should warranty that and send you a new site.

Posts: 16844 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advise gentlemen. A free replacement front sight is on it's way from Trijicon.

Posts: 2452 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good. Thanks for the update. It's always good to learn how these things turn out.

“Without its tough spearmen, Hellenic culture would have had nothing to give the world. It would not have lasted long enough. When Greek culture became so sophisticated that its common men would no longer fight to the death, as at Thermopylae, but became devious and clever, a horde of Roman farm boys overran them.”
— T. R. Fehrenbach, This Kind of War

Posts: 39099 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post