SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Installation of Meprolight FT Bullseye Night Sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Installation of Meprolight FT Bullseye Night Sights Login/Join 
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted
I have a set of Meprolight FT Bullseye Self Illuminating Night Sights on order for one of my P229's. Has anyone installed these with the MGW Sight Pro Tool? I assume it will work just fine,but any helpful info is appreciated.

Posts: 783 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I installed FT sights a couple months ago on a P226.

For me, installing them was as easy as shown in the video below. I did not need to use my sight tool putting them on because the FT use two screws to tighten the sight down onto the dovetail.

Undo the two dovetail screws first then pull the dovetail block straight down from the FT sight. Reattach the block loosely with the two screws. If the block and FT sight are loose it makes the install easier and not needing the sight pusher.

A couple of things left out of the video for you to do...

Use a pencil to mark your current sight's position in case you decide to go back to what you have.

De-grease the dovetail after you remove the current rear sight being careful not to remove the graphite from marking your old sights.

Don't use LocTite until after you have zeroed the sights on the range and after you decide to keep these sights.

After my first range trip, I decided to remove my front sight because having them still attached drew my eyes to the front sight.

Personally, I found the FTs to be difficult for my eyes. When I was in my 20s, I would not have had a problem with them. Now that my eyes are changing in my late 40s, I would rather use iron or red-dot sights.

My biggest problem is different levels of light. When you get the sights, even before you mount them stand in a room and aim outside in the bright sun. Also try the reverse, stand in the sun and aim at something in a shadow.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Sleepla8er,
I was really hoping these would help out my old ass eyes. Are you sill using them on your pistol? I guess if they do not workout for me they will still work in the xtra parts drawer!

Posts: 783 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

For me, it is a brightness issue. I have the green version, loved that the rear sight is closer to my eyes but they just aren't bright enough for me to use well.

I think you already ordered a set, are they red or green?

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
I ordered the green. I have Tru Glo TFX Pro Green on my Glock that are great. I hope these work as well.