SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Slight adjustment to front/ rear sights
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slight adjustment to front/ rear sights Login/Join 
posted
Recently picked up a P229 and, based on range time at 7yrds, and when compared to my Glock 19, it's hitting a little to the right. By "a little," I mean about 2" at 7yrds. Consistently. Seems significant to me, but I'm pretty new to this. I shoot left handed, and have tried adjusting my finger on the trigger, but that doesn't make for any noticeable change.

At this point, I'd like to adjust my sights, which leads to my question -

Better to adjust the front, or the rear?

Better off using a pusher or a nylon punch?

I don't know if the sights are OEM or installed by previous owner.

Posts: 3 | Location: Cedar Park, TX | Registered: March 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Two inches at 7 yards seems like a lot, which tells me it may be mostly you. That said, for windage changes either sight works, but the rear sight is stronger. A sight pusher is best, of course, but a punch will do if that's all you have. Oil the sight first and let it soak for a day.

Welcome to SIGforum.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No way it's me. Impossible.

Just kidding. Very well might be. I've got my 19 with me today. I'll grab the 229 tomorrow and see if it's still noticeable. I'll also see if one of the range folk can put some rounds through it and see if they have a similar experience.

Posts: 3 | Location: Cedar Park, TX | Registered: March 06, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
I like the MGW Sight Pro, but that's on the pricey side.

You'll find that a nylon or delrin punch with just trash the punch, most likely.

If you choose to use a brass punch, "color" the sight first using a pencil lead. This will help keep from marking the sight with brass - which can be difficult to remove.

The pusher works best (a good quality ridgid one - not the $70 common hardware versions). Some reports of broken Tritium vials using a punch, so use caution.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you shoot. Are you shooting by being supported. Something steadying your hands? I was shooting today at 7 yards a little to the left. I leaned on a wall and steadied myself. Adjusted my finger and shot straight.

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post