SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Sig 226 Simunition to 9mm
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 226 Simunition to 9mm Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a Sig 226R factory simunition gun. Besides changing the barrel and extractor, are there any other parts that need, or should, be replaced before completing the swap to 9mm.

(And yes Cerakote will be in the future to lose the blue)

Posts: 56 | Location: The South | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same question.
Also do we possibly need to change out the locking insert?

Posts: 114 | Location: C.B. AL | Registered: November 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barrel, extractor and maybe the recoil spring depending how much it was fired. Unless the locking insert shows signs of wear and tear I'd leave it alone. Hope this helps. Any chance you can post pics of the frame and slide?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: taguin,

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called Sig to check and they said the factory blue frames were made different and could not be converted. I didn't ask what was different.

Posts: 56 | Location: The South | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
You could email Jerry Jones (jerry at grayguns dot com). He might know what they have done differently. But I can understand them never wanting blue framed Sim guns to be able to be converted to live fire and possibly intermingled with other Sims.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A copy of the email I received from my question.

While it is TECHNICALLY possible to convert a force on force training gun to fire live ammunition, it requires more than ½ the gun be replaced, the entire top end, slide, barrel, everything, and many internal parts in the frame as well.

What you’re left with at the end is definitely a safety concern because you would have a live fire gun that still LOOKS like a training pistol because of the blue frame. We definitely do not recommend attempting to convert these pistols for live fire, there may be legal issues with doing so as well because of the way the firearms are classified with the BATFE, but due to changes in internal ATF rules and regulations I can’t be sure and can’t offer any legal advice on the matter.

Posts: 114 | Location: C.B. AL | Registered: November 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post