SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Question on 320 Extractor Upgrade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on 320 Extractor Upgrade Login/Join 
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted
My 3 year old 320C started exhibiting fail to extract problems a while back. I removed the extractor assembly and cleaned it thoroughly. That seemed to help for a while. Born date on box is 8-18-2016.

I don't shoot it often but yesterday had fte problems intermittently.

From some old posts I read that Sig did an upgrade to these extractor assemblys. What parts do I need to upgrade or should all the separate pieces be changed out?

And, yes, I do clean and lube properly. Thanks for an info on this before I call Sig CS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: yanici,

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I began having extractor problems on a P320F. I did some research, found others reported the same, found an extractor change took place. I pulled a newer extractor, found a difference in the contour of the inner edge of the hook, and swapped the newer one in. The problems seemed to go away, then began again. Reports indicated that sig went with a stronger extractor spring, as well. I ordered all new parts.

I spoke with others, and after doing some experimentation, determined that my extraction probems had more to do with some reloads I was playing with, than the weapon. I bumped up a couple tenths of a grain, and the problems disappeared.

In the meantime, I put the old extractor parts back in and everything ran fine; just to eliminate that possibility. Convinced it was me causing the problems, I put the new parts in, cleaned and lubed, and ran the pistol, without further incident. That was a few thousand rounds ago, no problems.

You can order the extractor, spring, and plunger. I think the spring is a bit stronger, and the current extractor definitely has a different hook contour than the older offering.

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I ordered new parts and installed them in all my P320's to bring them up to what's current.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Just to update. I called Sig CS and the rep was going to send me a shipping label to send my 320C in. I opted to purchase new extractor parts instead and he waived the S&H fees. They recommend changing all 4 parts of the extractor assembly, not just the spring and extractor for the correct upgrade. About $40 without shipping.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2401 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

The P320 Extractor Assembly was redesigned in or before March 2017.

Please review this thread as reference:
http://SigForum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/7630095024

Within the attached thread are the following two quotes by Bruce Gray:

1) "The updated part numbers represent an evolutionary change to increase extractor tension and improve extractor hook bite. The three parts you received all are intended to work together, though each is nominally reverse-compatible with the earlier parts versions. These parts will help correct your occasional FTE issue."

2) "...Did you also get the new extractor pin? It too is longer, and pretensions the spring quite a bit more."

The stock numbers for the parts I received from Sig in March 2017 for my P320 Compact were:

EXTRACTOR 1301042-R
PIN, EXTRACTOR 1300324-R
SPRING, EXTRACTOR 1300521-R

The part numbers may have changed since March 2017.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I spoke to Sig about it, two representatives swore up and down that there had never been any changes to the parts. One of them said he shot competitively and had been with the P320 since its inception, and that there was no change to the extractor, or its components.

I asked him how long he'd been shooting the P320, and he said "two years."

Sig customer service hasn't struck me as "okay" at any level thus far.

(My last experience them was recent, when I sent a P320 back for the "upgrade." I spoke on the phone with them several times and included detailed notes in the box, credit card info, etc. They were to do the upgrade and replace the trigger, and extractor components, takedown lever, put on x-ray sights, and so on. They got it all wrong, insisted they had no record of the requests, emails, calls, letter (despite replied). Didn't do much of the work, put on the wrong sights, forgot the trigger, and so on. Seems par for the course with them. I try to get parts, services, anything at all, elsewhere, if I can).

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

The P320 Extractor Assembly was redesigned in or before March 2017.

Please review this thread as reference:
http://SigForum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/7630095024

Within the attached thread are the following two quotes by Bruce Gray:

1) "The updated part numbers represent an evolutionary change to increase extractor tension and improve extractor hook bite. The three parts you received all are intended to work together, though each is nominally reverse-compatible with the earlier parts versions. These parts will help correct your occasional FTE issue."

2) "...Did you also get the new extractor pin? It too is longer, and pretensions the spring quite a bit more."

The stock numbers for the parts I received from Sig in March 2017 for my P320 Compact were:

EXTRACTOR 1301042-R
PIN, EXTRACTOR 1300324-R
SPRING, EXTRACTOR 1300521-R

The part numbers may have changed since March 2017.

Hmmm... While I was on the phone with the CS Rep I off-handedly mentioned that I hoped that none of the military issued 320s were going to experience intermittent extractor trouble. He replied that all the military stuff was after the 2017 change. Interesting.

Parts list and prices for the new extractor parts that the Sig CS Rep ordered for me. These should be the most current I guess.

1 1301042-01-R EXTRACTOR Prepaid CC $8.00 $8.00

1 1300324-R PIN, EXTRACTOR Prepaid CC $7.00 $7.00

1 1300521-R SPRING, EXTRACTOR Prepaid CC $6.00

1 1301495-R PIN, EXTRACTOR, PLUS Prepaid CC $19.00

This message has been edited. Last edited by: yanici,

John

posted Hide Post
Sig never needed to "upgrade" the military pistols, because they were "drop safe." Sig continued producing the civil version for some time thereafter, having already known about the problem and incorporated it into their government offering.

It is interesting.

Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Yanici ~ I see you have four parts listed and I'm "guessing" there is a gen 3 Extractor Pin based on these two lines items:

The complete assembly is made of up these components:
Extractor
Extractor Pin
Extractor Spring
Extractor Tension Pin (this also locks the Striker Assembly and Read Slide Cap into place)

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Yanici ~ I see you have four parts listed and I'm "guessing" there is a gen 3 Extractor Pin based on these two lines items:

The complete assembly is made of up these components:
Extractor
Extractor Pin
Extractor Spring
Extractor Tension Pin (this also locks the Striker Assembly and Read Slide Cap into place)

I believe the $19 pin that I list is what you are calling the "Extractor Tension Pin." I copied my parts list directly from the email sent from Sig's shipping email. Remember, "A rose is a rose..."

John

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
All of the parts I've ordered have shipped except for the extractor spring, which is apparently not in stock. I'll update this thread, hopefully with pics, when all of the parts are in hand.

John

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update. All the new extractor parts have been delivered and installed. I couldn't see much difference, but the assembled spring and pins that attach to the spring appear to be a smidgen longer in length. That might just be because the new spring hasn't taken its set.

I'll try for the range tomorrow and get back to you.

John

Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
New extractor assembly performed perfectly today. Shot 200 rounds, no hiccup. Hope it lasts.

John