SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Good rust protection
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good rust protection Login/Join 
Picture of 808
posted
Like your opinion on a good rust prevention for pistols , shotgun and rifles.
Not for storage but for ready use.

Anyone try this product before?

Boeshield T-9

https://www.gun-tests.com/issu...-1.html#.W7k-lhopChA

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Boeschield T9 in the marine industry and while it's great at corrosion it is or turns into a sticky mess. I haven't had any issues with just Breakfree CLP on mine, this is in a Safe in an un-airconditioned garage in South Florida with a humidity rod in it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sigman940
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 808:
Like your opinion on a good rust prevention for pistols , shotgun and rifles.
Not for storage but for ready use.

Anyone try this product before?

Boeshield T-9

https://www.gun-tests.com/issu...-1.html#.W7k-lhopChA

If you have the money NP3 plus has excellent corrosion resistance and it also makes your internals slick as snot. The only down fall is that it is a treatment so you can not change the color. Having said that, I have used it for just the internals and it works great. It even make the trigger pull smoother and a little bit lighter.

~ ante omnia armari

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are looking for? But as Jimmy123x says you for sure don't want T-9. Almost every test I have seen shows CLP does a pretty good job, and with a good gun oil/grease on the parts that need that it would be a pretty decent base. But I'm guessing you don't mean on your person since having a 3 gun setup carried would be a little awkward. Thus I really think what you want is either VCI bags or VCI in the storage environment.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I’ve used this stuff with satisfactory results:

https://www.eabco.net/RustePru...oth-Kit_p_13580.html

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have been using Remoil spray in Florida for nearly 40 years and have never had any corrosion issues. Spray it on and wipe off the excess. RIG grease for long term storage. I see no need to use gooey stuff on my guns and we are in a hot humid place.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I have been using Remoil spray in Florida for nearly 40 years and have never had any corrosion issues. Spray it on and wipe off the excess. RIG grease for long term storage. I see no need to use gooey stuff on my guns and we are in a hot humid place.

This is what I have been doing since I was about 12 with my hunting guns. Works great.

Posts: 96 | Location: VA | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
EEZOX
is awesome stuff, been using it for years.
Love it.
https://www.eezox.com/

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 808
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great info.
So if this was used on long guns that are in the open passenger area of a vehicle the Odor would be very strong in the vehicle ?

In a Police vehicle .

quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
EEZOX
is awesome stuff, been using it for years.
Love it.
https://www.eezox.com/

Ihave and use the eezox spray protectant.
It works but i cannot use it anywhere in the house. The odor it emits is one that drives me crazy.
I have to use in the safe storage room and glove up well and change clothes then shower after its use.
I use it on guns that are going into long stourage. I rubber glove up thenwear cotton gloves over the rubbers. Spray down and wipe off excess then insert into Bore-Store socks which are then put in padded gun cases.
I have a very large safe so i run two Golderods. I usually pull these guns once of twice a year a re.apply.
I also have a 12 oak long gun cabinet with glass doors which i run two Goldenrods in and the guns are uncased so the eezox is put to the test IMO.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania | Registered: February 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the EEzox would probably stink pretty good if you left the car in the sun with the windows up for a while. Breakfree CLP is what you want as the odor is very mild if much at all.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I never really noticed any strong odor with EEZOX but it does have a mild scent, nothing bad or excessive as far as I am concerned.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Breakfree Collector is a good choice for guns that need better rust prevention than standard gun oil will allow, but which still leaves the gun in a ready to use state. (Unlike some of the more hardcore rust prevention products, you don't have to clean off Collector before you use that gun.)

It's kinda like a thicker viscosity version of Breakfree CLP, with a greater emphasis on the P than the C or L.

It's what I use on my milsurp collection, which spends most of its time stored in safes.

https://www.safariland.com/pro...collector-15391.html

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a gallon of Boeshild to put on my boat occasionally. It works good to keep the salt from corroding it so badly. It was developed by Boeing to slap on their bare aluminum on the planes. Think about the price of an airplane and them landing them in salt environments like Honolulu, Seattle, San Francisco etc etc. That said, I started using either Eezox or Hornady one shot.

There's a lot of guys that have done tests, just google gun lube tests or rust or test plates. Here's what I'm talking about, but there's more out there of course:
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

^^^ That one, fella took 46 different products that he bought himself, tried to follow exactly what the mfg said to do, then left them out in the weather. It's obvious some products work better. Boeshield T9 holds up well in the weather, but lubricity suffers. Hornady One Shot looked like a clear winner on another test, but checks out earlier here. But it all works. Good stuff: https://www.shootersforum.com/...duct-evaluation.html

Interesting that my grandfather never had rust on his guns and he had them out in weather frequently to hunt and target shoot and all he had was some ratty old oil. He'd wipe them down regularly.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FixedSpace6:
The only one good method against rust is vinegar. Just put rusty thing into it, 10 minutes and rust is gone

This thread is about rust protection/prevention.

Preventing rust by applying gun oil, grease, or wax is a far superior method to simply letting it get rusty and then dunking it in vinegar.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FixedSpace6:
The only one good method against rust is vinegar. Just put rusty thing into it, 10 minutes and rust is gone

If you put a stainless steel gun into vinegar it will turn the entire gun (stainless) black.

But this thread is about preventing rust.

Frequency of how often you apply oil, wax etc. is just as important as the type of oil,wax you put on.

posted Hide Post
While the tests are good, I don't leave my guns outside for much more that 8hrs in winter or 12hrs in summer.

I use Breakfree CLP after they have been wiped out or cleaned. Since using, about 25yrs, I have never had a rust problem.

Happiness is hitting your target.

Posts: 10 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: August 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post