SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    converting a 1911 from .45 to 9mm?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

converting a 1911 from .45 to 9mm? Login/Join 
Picture of alinc100
posted
Hi All,
I'm familiar with the conversion options on the P-series guns but was wondering if a Sig Super Target in .45acp could be converted to 9mm with a Sig barrel from their 1911 9mm handguns.

Thanks,
Andy

Posts: 211 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe the breech face in a .45ACP slide is different, as is the extractor and ejector. You're not just going to be able to switch barrels and have any assurance of success.

Posts: 20498 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It isn't a barrel swap. As said the breech face, ejector, and extractor are all different. I may not be economic to convert the two.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43930 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It isn't a barrel swap. As said the breech face, ejector, and extractor are all different. I may not be economic to convert the two.

I'm pretty sure the frame is different too. The 9mm uses a ramped barrel I think.

Posts: 14247 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it was going to be expensive when I looked into it for one of my GSRs. So much so it was more cost effective to buy a 9mm 1911, so I did. Maybe a switch to 38 super would be easier?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cazio,

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 661 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A switch from 9mm to 38 Super, or 38 Super to 9mm is pretty simple.

Posts: 20498 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Also the feed ramp angle that is machined into the frame is different.

Posts: 6553 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post