SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    converting a 1911 from .45 to 9mm?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

converting a 1911 from .45 to 9mm? Login/Join 
posted
Hi All,
I'm familiar with the conversion options on the P-series guns but was wondering if a Sig Super Target in .45acp could be converted to 9mm with a Sig barrel from their 1911 9mm handguns.

Thanks,
Andy

Posts: 166 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I believe the breech face in a .45ACP slide is different, as is the extractor and ejector. You're not just going to be able to switch barrels and have any assurance of success.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 19728 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It isn't a barrel swap. As said the breech face, ejector, and extractor are all different. I may not be economic to convert the two.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 43284 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It isn't a barrel swap. As said the breech face, ejector, and extractor are all different. I may not be economic to convert the two.

I'm pretty sure the frame is different too. The 9mm uses a ramped barrel I think.

Posts: 13826 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it was going to be expensive when I looked into it for one of my GSRs. So much so it was more cost effective to buy a 9mm 1911, so I did. Maybe a switch to 38 super would be easier?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cazio,

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 652 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A switch from 9mm to 38 Super, or 38 Super to 9mm is pretty simple.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 19728 | Location: Young American Teen Club | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Also the feed ramp angle that is machined into the frame is different.

Posts: 6133 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post