SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG SAUER X-RAY SIGHT opinion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SAUER X-RAY SIGHT opinion Login/Join 
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted
Hi folks, for those that have the X ray sights on their gun. How does it work for you? Would have chosen something different in hindsight?

Luctor et Emergo

Posts: 194 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I'd do the opposite, actually. I recently sent a new 320 in for the upgrade and had them install siglites while it was there. I didn't realize how much I love that huge green dot on the front of my 365s till I got the 320 back and was/am dissapointed with the siglites.

If you like a big front sight dot, definitely get the xrays. It's so easy and fast to pick up and acquire a sight picture with.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've had them on a couple P320s and a P365, and I like them.

Overall, to me they're a close 2nd behind Trijicon HDs, and definitely better than traditional 3 dot night sights (like Siglites).

And they're lower profile than Trijicon HDs (which are rather tall sights), so that makes them the best option for some pocketable guns like the P365.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
Thank you both for your replies!

Luctor et Emergo

Posts: 194 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whereas the idea of a front sight is to be visible, the subdued green of the x-ray sight is the opposite; it's low visibility. I don't care for them.

I do have the x-ray sights on a few pistols, notably P365's because they're low profile and I didn't want to bother with a taller sight in a pocket holster.

I much prefer Trijicon XRs for visibility, with black rear sights, or if tritium rear, then subdued rear. For a front sight, I'd prefer it stands out.

I've been moving sporting pistols to fiber optic fronts; they make a smaller, higher-visibility dot, enabling more accurate shot placement. They show up with glasses on. They don't do a lot in low light, but at my level of competition (fun, not particularly competitive), they work just fine.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The green of the X-Ray sights isn’t as visible and quick to pick up as similar sights with a large orange circle. If it wouldn’t be a major expense and effort to change all the X-Rays that I have, that’s what I’d do. But they are much better than the traditional SIG sights that I used for a long time. Under the right conditions fiber optic sights are even better for fast acquisition, but night sights are a must for me on “serious” handguns and again I don’t want a mixture of sight types. So, I like the X-Ray sights, sort of, but they aren’t my favorite.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have been debating between the Trijicon HD and the X ray sights.

Luctor et Emergo

Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Trijicon HD XR's with the large orange ring surrounding the front tritium insert and the rear "U" shaped notch.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Trijicon HD vs X-Ray3 comparison, is the difference simply due to orange (if chosen for the HD) vs green? Or, is there also a difference in paint type for that front ring?

Trijicon specifically states that the orange (or yellow) front ring is via a photoluminescent paint, which will briefly glow after charging in bright light.

Sig is less specific as to the substance of its front green ring. It does mention that an “oversized chemical resistant fluorescent polymer front dot gives confidence”, but I’m not sure what that is referring to.

I haven’t tried the Trijicons but my frustration tends to be with low, daylight conditions in which the tritium tubes aren’t yet glowing and the X-Ray’s green ring seems to blend with the black areas of the sights. At that point, my old dot-bar contrast sights are far better than Siglites or X-Rays.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven’t tried the Trijicons but my frustration tends to be with low, daylight conditions in which the tritium tubes aren’t yet glowing and the X-Ray’s green ring seems to blend with the black areas of the sights. At that point, my old dot-bar contrast sights are far better than Siglites or X-Rays.

This is why I ditched the xray3 sights. They wash out and I don't see them very well even though it is rather large.

I have two sets of the HD XR sights and even with the thinner front post and dot it stands out like a laser in just about all light conditions.
I get more consistent hits with them on a 4" spinner over other sights as well.

I have XS sights that the front dot is charged when exposed to light that I see very well also.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are slightly better than standard night sights. I much prefer an orange outline.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post