SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    229 sight replacement proceedures
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

229 sight replacement proceedures Login/Join 
Picture of bare bones
posted
I am thinking of replacing old siglite sights with a set of big dot trigicon night sights. I guess what I want to know is are there procedures that should/must be followed to assure proper installation. I have the tools to do the job, but have never done it myself.

All advice appreciated.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remove sights right to left, install left to right. When installing the front sight, make sure the trailing edge of the sight doesn't ride up the dovetail cut in the slide. Aftermarket sights may require minor filing. Good luck.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
It helps to lightly oil the sights before removal and let the oil wick-in. Also lightly oil the sights and dovetails before installing.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I'll be sure to follow your suggestions.
I assume directions are looking down the slide from the back of the gun.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bare bones:
I assume directions are looking down the slide from the back of the gun.

Yes.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here use Locktite when installing new sights?

Posts: 5732 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Does anyone here use Locktite when installing new sights?

Only as a last resort, i.e. sight loose in the dovetail. From my time here, it is seldom necessary.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post