SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG 226 X5 Combat - German made
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 226 X5 Combat - German made Login/Join 
posted
I have a German made SIG 226 X5 Combat in .40 S&W.

The pistol used to work in double or single action.

During my last shooting session my SIG turned from single action to double action only.

After the shot slide goes back but the hammer does not stay cocked.

I disassembled the pistol but could not see anything wrong. I cleaned it thoroughly and assembled it back.

It is still doing the same thing.

I would appreciate very much your help.

Any idea what could be the reason for the malfunction?

Posts: 24 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Damaged SA notch on hammer or damaged sear.

Sear spring broken or not latched under frame pin.

Very weak ammunition.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,

Very weak ammunition:
- no, it is still doing when I move the slide back and forth without any ammo.The hammer follows the slide into double action mode.

Sear spring broken or not latched under frame pin.
- no, I disassembled the pistol and inspected all springs. Assembled it back and the fault is still there.

Damaged SA notch on hammer or damaged sear.
- no, inspected the hammer and the sear. I can manually cock the pistol into the SA mode but when I try to do it with the slide it does not stay cocked.

Do not understand what is happening.

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do not understand what is happening.

Neither do I. Please give us more information: Are you the original owner of the gun? How many rounds fired? Have you changed any springs or parts? Has the gun been dropped?

It still sounds like a hammer or sear problem to me. Standby for more replies.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Perhaps a broken or severely weakened hammer reset spring?

Btw, what is a SIG 226 X5 Combat? Is it some model that is made available in Europe only? There's the P226 Combat made at SIG USA, and the P226 X5 in various configurations made in Germany. But a P226 X5 Combat? Have never heard of it. Are you in Europe?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Maybe worn/grooved/damaged hammer face? Slide inside bottom pushes hammer back. If the hammer face was really worn, maybe not being pushed back quite far enough by slide to catch SA notch anymore, but would still work if you manually pulled the hammer back since you use the spur. Just a wild ass guess..

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Gary,

You were correct. It was the sear that was causing problems.

This sear was modified (at the time of production) by the gunsmith in Germany to give 3.5 lb trigger pull. After the careful look at the sear under the magnifying glass there was visible worn marks on the edge.
The gunsmith smoothed out the edge but I still ordered a new sear.
The new sear will most likely come with heavier trigger pull.

I heve not tried yet the old sear as it was corrected by the gunsmith.

Will see next week.

posted Hide Post
Oriental Redneck,

I am in Canada.

The pistol came from the factory in Germany as X5 combat. It is in .40 S&W.
It did not go through SIG USA.

It is like a regular X5 but it has fixed sights and standard grips.

It has black finish.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piast:
Oriental Redneck,

I am in Canada.

The pistol came from the factory in Germany as X5 combat. It is in .40 S&W.
It did not go through SIG USA.

It is like a regular X5 but it has fixed sights and standard grips.

It has black finish.

Thank you. SIG DE makes all kinds of variations of their Xguns, it's impossible to keep up anymore. The X5 Combat definitely has never been seen this side of the border. Do you have a picture or two?

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
here's another one that came thru canada.

226x5-short in pvd with "be/2014" date code but label is wrong.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Everybody,

This is not sear. I installed a brand new sear and it is still doing it. Have no idea.

Could it be the hammer?

That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could it be the hammer?

Certainly. I said so in my first reply. The hammer and sear work together, so it is hard to differentiate unless the damage or wear is obvious. I can't fault you for trying to fix it yourself. I do the same thing. Sometimes, however, you have to seek professional help.

Picture of deadmanmike
posted Hide Post
Could be the hammer, but if you don't have a ton of rounds through it I'd doubt it. Pics would be extremely helpful.

=============
Certified Sig P-Series Armorer
Certified AR-15/M16/M4 Armorer
Certified 1911 Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer
Certified Sig P320 Armorer
Certified Glock Advanced Armorer
Certified MPX Armorer
Certified MCX Armorer

Posts: 1587 | Registered: June 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary Deadmanmike

I am trying to attach the pictures.

let's see this time.

posted Hide Post
Dear Gary and Deadmanmike

Gentlemen,

One of you attached pictures of different Sig hammers.

Could I ask you to post the pictures of different hammers again.

I am still waiting for the hammer for my 226S (X5) Combat. It has been a year already.

The dealer received a hammer but it was a wrong part.

This Covid is driving me nuts. Everything takes forever.

Thank you

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some hammers.

The one at the far left is the standard DA/SA hammer. The one second from the left is the "sport" hammer with a smaller single action cocking notch. (I left the size large to help seeing details.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I believe I see a difference between the DA/SA hammers whose pictures I posted and yours.

Note the circled areas in both of the photos below.

It appears that material has been removed from your hammer just to the rear of the single action cocking notch. Compare your hammer with the same area of the hammers in the other photo.

If material was removed next to the notch, that was probably to reduce the contact surface between the hammer and sear*, and that would explain why the hammer does not remain cocked properly.

(I had to enlarge and crop your photo to make my point clearer, but that degraded the resolution.)

Note that Numrich has hammers for a reasonable price:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/466460B

Brownells even has a nickel plated version:

https://www.brownells.com/hand...8.aspx?sku=732000133

* In thinking about the issue I am no longer sure about that particular statement, but regardless of what was specifically intended, any modification to the cocking notch could have unexpected and undesirable consequences. If what I pointed out is something that can be seen in our poor photos, who knows what else was done that cannot be seen. In any event, I believe replacing the hammer is indicated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bdavis
posted Hide Post
If you thumb the hammer back without moving the slide:
a) can you hear the sear click into the notch?
b) will the hammer stay cocked?

Good luck

Posts: 4128 | Location: Ohio | Registered: November 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post