SIGforum
Ruger 22 Standard pistol malfunctions after reassembly? - FIXED.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/4090074064

August 30, 2019, 06:20 PM
grumpy1
Ruger 22 Standard pistol malfunctions after reassembly? - FIXED.
So I had not field stripped my Ruger 22 Standard pistol with 6 inch tapered barrel (same pistol as the MK1 but fixed sights) in years and did so to give it a good cleaning and lube. I bought mine new in the mid 70s and it has never given me a problem before. I have been shooting it recently with no problems using mainly CCI Mini Mags 40gr.

I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it. Then I put it back together but I could not pull the bolt back very much. So I took it apart again and put it back together again and I could then pull the bolt back, release it, pull the trigger to drop the hammer and repeat.

I went to the range with CCI Mini Mags 40gr, loaded the magazine, pulled the bolt back and released it to load a round into the chamber and that went fine. I fired the round and the bolt cycled and put a new round in the chamber but the trigger would not move as in the hammer was not cocked. I pulled the bolt back again to eject the live round and to load another one. It would fire again and then same problem with the trigger.

So after I got home I took it apart again and put it back together carefully especially making sure that the hammer strut engaged into the mainspring housing where it should be by tilting the barrel upward and closed the mainspring housing. I just got back from the range and it still is doing as I described above. I have not taken it apart again yet but am looking for any advice on what the problem might be and what I should check for and do. I wonder if some part go damaged/bent after I put it back together improperly the first time.

Thanks for any help, advice, or sharing of experiences. I should have left well enough alone LOL.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,
August 30, 2019, 06:46 PM
grumpy1
I think I may have found out what may be contributing to the problem. I few years ago I put on some different grips - a pair for the Mark II. Doing that must have enabled this pin to walk out of the frame during disassembly. Now just have to figure how to get that pin back in and hopefully be able to do it without further disassembly.

December 07, 2019, 09:31 PM
grumpy1
Just wanted to update.

I was able to drive the pin back in after some effort which was a PIA. I had to drive the pin in from the other side at an angle best I could to finally do it. Anyhow that was the problem and my Ruger Standard works great again and I put original grips back on which hold that pin in place.
December 10, 2019, 08:53 AM
Warhorse
Glad to hear all is well with your pistol. It does get a little frustrating when reassembling these, when you haven't done so in a long time.