SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P320 Take Down
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 Take Down Login/Join 
posted
Why does the take lever take so much effort to rotate compared to my P226? I now carry a small pair of channel locks in case I need to take it down during a competition or range trip. I have installed a Bruce Gray guide rod but even with the OEM it's becoming a PITA
TIA Greg

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greg1147:
Why does the take lever take so much effort to rotate compared to my P226?

Some seem to come from SIG more difficult to turn than others, judging by comments posted here. Mine was somewhat stiff when new, but I could still manage it, and it has smoothed out some over time. I still hold the gun so I can push down from the top with my stronger thumb, rather than levering it from the side. Make sure to keep some oil on the lever shaft, and especially on the O-ring. Mine is still more difficult to turn than other SIG models I have owned.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
I have Bruce's guide rods in every one of my 320's. While stiff, none require anything more than finger pressure to rotate.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
I can rotate my 320s takedown lever more easily while my pistol is laying on a cleaning mat. All the force is applied to the lever instead of fighting myself by holding the pistol in one hand and using the thumb of the other hand to rotate it.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks got it under control, thought it me with the arthritis thing.

"the soul of a dog is pure"

Posts: 265 | Location: VA | Registered: June 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bare bones
posted Hide Post
Believe me, you're not the only one to experience this problem. Arthritis and lessening muscle mass in my hands/fingers makes this pistol a real dog to manipulate. I have a flat piece of bar stock to use for leverage. I'll oil it up and see if I can free it up some.

This age thing can be frustrating, but the fridge still keeps the beer cold.

"Only the Dead Have Seen an End to War" Plato.

Posts: 1197 | Location: South Rome, Illinois | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Something I experienced after switching to a Grayguns recoil spring and guide rod in my 9mm P320 is that I must lift up slightly on the front of the rod with the slide locked back to allow me to rotate the takedown lever. No amount of force that I can exert works without doing that first.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This falls into the category of "Mysteries of the Universe. Last time I followed this theme there were three iterations of TDL's

1) The original was on my P320C 9mm when I bought it in January 2015. That one had the raised shelf that beat the hell out of your support hand thumb under recoil.

2) Then they changed to the flat version, which I ordered when it was available. Flat shape was fine, but took two hands and 12 fingers to turn the damn thing. Eventually loosened up a little after a lot of use and applying lube to the O-ring and the rest of the part. Still stiff though.

3) Then, purportedly, they revised the part another time to ameliorate the stiffness problem. I can't recall whether the third iteration solved the problem or not. However, the three versions had their own specific part numbers from what SF members reported.

I have no idea what's going on now. Have recently seen numerous reports of stiffness with current production TDL's. I thought that it had been solved with version number three.

Perhaps Sig should provide a special wrench for operating P320 TDL's. Razz

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P320RX takes 3 men and a mule to turn it. It is due for the safety upgrade so when it goes back to Sig, I will include a whine about that situation.
We will see what happens....

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post