SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    SIG P220 (1986) German
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG P220 (1986) German Login/Join 
posted
I have owned this P220 since 1986 I purchased new I have cleaned and handled it a thousand times.

Two weeks ago I thought I notice some rust between the breech block and the slide so I decided for $75 to send in the slide to SIG for a little maintenance, inspection, cleaning and parts replacement if needed.

I detailed everything in a letter that was included with the slide.

Today I received the slide back and you can see the firing pin safety block is canted and when depressed it grinds and pops like the spring underneath is out of position not in the hole provided underneath where it should be.

Is removing the breech block to rectify this something I should attempt on my own given that it has the double roll pins.

I do regular disassembly and cleaning of most of my weapons but these roll pins can be a real bear to remove and replace.

-- Mark

Posts: 13 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, yes you can perform that yourself but given that SIG didn't reassemble the breech block correctly I would contact them directly! If you do decide to DIY I can provide you with a spirol pin as the double roll pins are considered sacrificial parts

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess my expectations are too high to just do something right the first time. I'm sure disassembly and cleaning of an old slide was relegated to an intern or trainee.

I am so familiar with this weapon I noticed immediately that the firing pin block safety wasn't installed correctly, but they did get my $75.

I will give SIG a call tomorrow and see what remedy they suggest. Such a pain in the butt I had to take off work today because it was adult signature required.

@taguin I may take you up on that offer... I have the punches and tools to remove the roll pins

Posts: 13 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
eMail is in my profile. Good luck!

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I finally convinced the Customer Service folks at SIG that I could have a genuine issue, they emailed a FedEx label on Monday and I dropped it off yesterday morning the slide should arrive in Exeter today.

CS mentioned something about sending it over to the custom shop for them to have a look hopefully they will followup with me before it ships back.

posted Hide Post
Please keep us posted!

posted Hide Post
Received a call yesterday while at JBSA Randolph from SIG CS, he and another technician walked the part over to the custom shop and meet with a supervisor who inspected the slide.

The roll pins were removed for inspection and slide was reassembled (old roll pins will be shipped back).

CS said the part is with in spec and looks good but did not mention whether or not my complaint was confirmed (I didn't ask).

I must say they meet all of my expectations and were very cordial that's all you can really ask for. I do own a 2013 model P226 but they are so different in the way they were manufactured you really can't compare the two.

Hopefully I will have the slide back next week for a trip to the range to verify its operational worthiness.

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
Glad they took care of it for you.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know they made things right!

posted Hide Post
Looks like I'm on the hook to purchase another SIG now...

posted Hide Post
Received the slide back from SIG today and it's 100% correct... when your right... your right

Persistence pays off