SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    AR armorers kit: Which one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR armorers kit: Which one? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I am in the market for an AR armorers kit. The only ones I am aware of are the Real Avid and the Wheeler.

Any other good options? Which one would you or did you choose?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have no direct familiarity with any premade kits, so I can’t offer a specific answer. In general whether it’s a first aid kit or tools for working on guns, I prefer to assemble the pieces myself for my personal preferences. The armorer tools one needs varies depending upon the specific gun(s) you intend to work on.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a reasonably complete kit for building and repairing garden-variety mil-spec ARs. I imagine a few specialty tools would be bought later on but I would like to go with a kit, for starters.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That kit by Wheeler's is a little pricey, but it looks like a well thought out selection.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I ordered to Real Avid kit. I was looking at a couple of their individual parts and the deal I got on the kit is such that buying those parts a la carte was 90% of the cost of the kit.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Real Avid Armorers wrench is the best so far. The Geissele Reaction rod is a needed tool. Any decent bench block and punch set . Real Avid bench block is very helpful. I prefer channel locks to push the roll pin for the bolt release.
I agree , for the price Real Avid is the right tool for the AR.
The AR Real Avid cleaning tool is very useful. Very nice set up for AR bolt cleaning.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The kit arrived and it is very impressive. Well thought out and packaged.
The aluminum reaction rod concerns me, durability-wise. It will be replaced with the Geissele, if I manage to wear it out.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli