SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Double Action Over Travel and Trigger Bar Troubles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Action Over Travel and Trigger Bar Troubles Login/Join 
posted
I'm new to the Sig world and recently acquired a nice old P226 to learn on. One of the first things I noticed was how much over travel there is in the double action trigger pull. I realize that most people don't care. Most people will never even take a double action shot and those that will don't really understand that all that over travel is what causes them to jerk their shots way off target. I hate having that much over travel, personally. It just feels sloppy to me and there's no good reason for it.

I suspected that I could take some material off of the end of the trigger bar, where it engages the hammer pivot pin, and get a much better double action pull. So I started slowly removing material with some sand paper, trying to preserve the arc of the bar where it engages. After a while and a few .002" at a time I had a very nice double action pull. The hammer came a lot farther back before the break and my trigger got closer and closer to the frame. It was great until I tried the single action pull.

Now when I pull the trigger in single action mode it catches on the trigger bar when it tries to break. Or, I should say, sometimes it catches and sometimes it don't. I didn't see that coming. I need to find out how much material I can remove before that happens and that means, for me, that I need a cheap source for trigger bars.

As far as I can tell the cheapest way to get a trigger bar for a P226 is to buy the MK25 parts kit that comes with a trigger bar for only $26 directly from Sig. Numrich and Brownell and everywhere else I've looked wants twice as much just for the trigger bar. Am I missing something? Someone please give me a link if you know where I can get a trigger bar for under $20. The MK25 parts kit is nice but I want to order at least 2 bars and I don't need all the extra stuff.

Posts: 13 | Registered: August 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
You mean pre-travel?

An adjustable trigger takes care of pre and over travel, no need to mess with the trigger bar.
The Gray Guns EDC SOT trigger kit even comes with a modified trigger bar.

I have that kit in a 226 and a 229, worth every penny.

Posts: 1470 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually was talking about the over travel. A stock P226 as well as most DA/SA guns has a lot of double action over travel. There are various ways to eliminate it depending on the platform. I'm familiar with CZ and Beretta but now I'm learning Sig Sauer with the P series as a starting point.

I managed to fix my problem as easily as I created it. Just as I was able to remove material from the trigger bar where it engages the hammer pivot pin, I was also able to remove material where it engages the hammer itself. I would rather not have had to do that but it worked out just fine. I'll probably order another trigger bar and redo the over travel bit but for now it's working very well and I haven't even dropped in the Grayguns fully adjustable trigger I ordered last week.

This has been a great weekend to learn. I've learned how to take material off of the sear to eliminate single action creep and how to manipulate the trigger bar to get rid of that horrible double action over travel. Now I have an amazing single action pull without any creep at all, after doing some sear work, and a sweet, long double action pull with about as much over travel, not much at all, as I get in single action mode. When I get my Grayguns trigger next week this will be one hell of a nice shooting pistol with a trigger in the same league as my finely tuned CZs and Berettas.

Oh, and I guess I still should redo the trigger bar. Not completely necessary but I'm a stickler and this has been a very rewarding learning process. So, if any one knows where I can get a cheap, under $20, trigger bar please let me know. I'll probably end up ordering the MK25 parts kit anyway because it's an amazing value. I could just order 100 of those kits and set up an Ebay store selling each bit individually. I could get $30 just for the trigger bar and make a little profit.

Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Langley 1911, where did you find the MK25 parts kit that includes trigger bar?
Thanks.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's on the Sig store sight, Ebay, and a couple other places.

Parts Kit - MK25, 9MM
https://www.sigsauer.com/store...ts-kit-mk25-9mm.html

Factory replacement parts kit for MK25 pistols. Parts kit includes: Grip Screws, P226 Polymer Grip Set, Mainspring Seat, Trigger Bar, Sear Spring Decocking Lever Spring, Safety Lock Spring, Mag Catch Spring, Mag Catch Stop Spring, Slide Catch Lever Spring, Trigger Bar Spring, Recoil Spring.

It's a great deal for the price.

Sig Sauer P226/MK25 9mm Parts Kit: MGW
https://www.midwestgunworks.co.../mgwi/prod/pkit-mk25

I'll have to get another trigger bar. My double action over travel is shorter than single action. Have to make them equal before I'm satisfied but at least I know what I'm doing now. This trigger is absolutely sick but when I get another bar and the single action and double action over travel on the same page I'll be completely happy. I've had so much fun learning with this gun.

Watch "Sig P226 Grayguns Fully Adjustable Trigger" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/ghTsmvZmqxE

posted Hide Post
The finished product. This is one of the best triggers I have on any of the guns that I own. After a little work on the sear to get the creep out of the single action pull I took some material off of the trigger bar to get the single action and double action over travel on the same page. A little trial and error and I've got one hell of an amazing break. The Grayguns fully adjustable trigger allows me to almost completely eliminate over travel. When the trigger breaks in double action mode it's almost bottoming out. Same for single action. Now I get to go and shoot some steel at 10 yards. Life is good.

https://youtu.be/dyXgoYNPMMw