SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Hollow-Ground Screwdriver Set Recommendations?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hollow-Ground Screwdriver Set Recommendations? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I briefly contemplated removing the grip frame from my new Ruger SA revolver so a grip maker could get a set of grip panels right for it. Problem: I don't have a set of hollow-ground screwdrivers.

I since decided shipping my grip frame about was a Bad Idea, but I still think it would be a good idea to have a good set of hollow-ground screwdrivers on-hand.

Looking for recommendations. So far it looks like the Magna-Tip sets Brownell's carries get the least number of negative reviews for the tips breaking or distorting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wheeler Engineering
Carl

Posts: 41 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bofire:
Wheeler Engineering
Carl

This ^^^^^^.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

I've looked at Wheeler. And Grace. And Chapman. And Forster. And Pachmayr. I've probably spent several hours at it. The reviews and ratings are all over the map, depending upon which site we're talking about. Each of those: Some love 'em, some hate 'em. Some are just "Meh. They work." Some reviewers are casual users, some are smiths.

Like I said: All over the map.

In the end I decided to go with Brownell's own fixed-blade starter set. Something about those screwdrivers just called to me. They're spendy, at nearly $9/driver, but I got free shipping and, with tools, especially, I'm a "Buy once, cry once" kind of a guy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Chapman is good, but their sets only include a (relatively) limited selection of bit sizes. Wheeler makes a nice set that is more inclusive, but still misses on some sizes. Wherever possible, stop using slotted screws.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Grace hollow ground with the squared wooden handles so they do not slip. I am happy with them for the simple work that I do. I chose those because of my viewing of Hickok 45. I figured if they were good enough for him they would do for me.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You won't regret the Brownell's Magna-tip stuff. Like you, I'm a buy once, cry once type person. I started with some Grace screwdrivers and then went to Brownell's Magna-tip and have no regrets. Initially I purchased some Magna-tip bit sets then got some of the fixed-blade stuff.

As far as I can determine the Magna-tip stuff is made by Zephyr in the USA. It's quality stuff albeit a little pricey. Never had a problem with any Magna-tip stuff and you know Brownell's will stand behind it forever.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update

Received my Brownell's Fixed-Blade Screwdriver Starter Set a couple days ago.

They appear to be very-nicely made. I particularly like that the shafts are all the same length and handles all the same size. Also that the shafts are neither too long nor too short. They really put a lot of thought into the making of these.

Tried the 0.180" bit on my Ruger Flattop. Bit fit really snugly. So snugly that it doesn't quite bottom-out in the slot (removed one screw to look). Put my calliper to it and it doesn't hit the 0.040" thickness until the very end. Above that it's closer to 0.045". Elsewhere I'm told this is not uncommon, and Brownell's does include a grinding bit of the proper radius to touch them up, if desired.

I'm not sure if either my hands are steady enough or my eye good enough to remove 0.005" just maybe 1/64" from the end of that tip, free-hand, so I'm currently thinking I'll leave it be.

Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! I buy middle/quality standard screwdrivers from the local hardwareman, and grind them to fit each screw as called for. It's by far the best way to avoid buggering up nice firearms.

For repetitive work, buy the cheap 4-in-1 platic handled jobs found by the cashier's at any NAPA. Gring each tip to suit the specific screw. I have them set up for SIG, 1911's...

Stubborn screws get worked with top-quality drivers. I have scoured flea markets for old drivers by Stanley, Craftsmen, Snap-On. Klein perhaps makes the best these days. I have not taken to the Grace, because the flat-ground tips throw me and never quite fit the slots I encounter, and I have had them crack off on me.

Similarly, I do not favour those sets with the myriad interchangeable tips; you can't properly fit them, and then the damnable things wiggle about. Rubbish.

Even the cheap bargain-bin drivers, properly ground, will beat the expensive sets for utility 90% of the time.

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
I have the Grace set bought from Cabela's. They work great.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just broke 3 Wheeler bits with a very stubborn screw. I ended up getting it out with an impact type remover.

Wheeler has been O.K. for general use, not extreme duty though.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of c_zielsdorf
posted Hide Post
Wheeler bits break pretty often in my experience.
I really like the Brownells bits I have.

Disabled combat vet

Posts: 1409 | Location: WY | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked Grace USA. Great customer service, so no worries if you encounter any problems with them.

Posts: 47 | Registered: December 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
PB Swiss for me. Very nice precision drivers.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I have a set from Grace. During one of the times that one of the daughters and son-in-laws were living here one of them bent the tip using it in an unintended way.

I called Grace and requested to purchase one. The gentleman I spoke to told me they were lifetime warrantied and he said he would send me one. I said "Nope, not for misuse, I'm buying it."

He replied "Thank you for your honesty but it's still no charge. Lifetime warranty regardless."

So when I buy gun tools I look for Grace products.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Retired from Klein (formerly Vaco) where I made millions of screwdrivers. Our flat tip bit style drivers were ground on a machine with circular (round) cutters around .500 wide. The bit was placed in a holder the placed in the grinder and slowly fed down between the cutters. I don't remember the exact length but were ground straight for around .040 or .050 before the taper started. Great bit for any use.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Grace USA.

I also like PB Swiss, but they are very expensive and hard to find around here. I would have a hard time bringing myself to grinding on one to fit something.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I prefer to buy purpose specific hollow ground screwdrivers. I’d rather have a hq tool than a bit. Over the years I’ve found some good SAE and metric ones and it’s worth the cost. In some cases I’ve dressed and filed my own screwdrivers to get them to the shape I need. The Chapman are pretty good too if you need something quick. Wheeler also makes a nice little kit that is called the accurizer or something. One other one to look at is mega pro as you can get all types of tips including pretty good hollow ground and some stainless.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post