SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Hollow-Ground Screwdriver Set Recommendations?

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hollow-Ground Screwdriver Set Recommendations? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I briefly contemplated removing the grip frame from my new Ruger SA revolver so a grip maker could get a set of grip panels right for it. Problem: I don't have a set of hollow-ground screwdrivers.

I since decided shipping my grip frame about was a Bad Idea, but I still think it would be a good idea to have a good set of hollow-ground screwdrivers on-hand.

Looking for recommendations. So far it looks like the Magna-Tip sets Brownell's carries get the least number of negative reviews for the tips breaking or distorting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 11558 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wheeler Engineering
Carl

Posts: 36 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bofire:
Wheeler Engineering
Carl

This ^^^^^^.

Posts: 3613 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys.

I've looked at Wheeler. And Grace. And Chapman. And Forster. And Pachmayr. I've probably spent several hours at it. The reviews and ratings are all over the map, depending upon which site we're talking about. Each of those: Some love 'em, some hate 'em. Some are just "Meh. They work." Some reviewers are casual users, some are smiths.

Like I said: All over the map.

In the end I decided to go with Brownell's own fixed-blade starter set. Something about those screwdrivers just called to me. They're spendy, at nearly $9/driver, but I got free shipping and, with tools, especially, I'm a "Buy once, cry once" kind of a guy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 11558 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Chapman is good, but their sets only include a (relatively) limited selection of bit sizes. Wheeler makes a nice set that is more inclusive, but still misses on some sizes. Wherever possible, stop using slotted screws.

Posts: 6917 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Grace hollow ground with the squared wooden handles so they do not slip. I am happy with them for the simple work that I do. I chose those because of my viewing of Hickok 45. I figured if they were good enough for him they would do for me.

Posts: 2263 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You won't regret the Brownell's Magna-tip stuff. Like you, I'm a buy once, cry once type person. I started with some Grace screwdrivers and then went to Brownell's Magna-tip and have no regrets. Initially I purchased some Magna-tip bit sets then got some of the fixed-blade stuff.

As far as I can determine the Magna-tip stuff is made by Zephyr in the USA. It's quality stuff albeit a little pricey. Never had a problem with any Magna-tip stuff and you know Brownell's will stand behind it forever.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. -George Carlin

Posts: 376 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Update

Received my Brownell's Fixed-Blade Screwdriver Starter Set a couple days ago.

They appear to be very-nicely made. I particularly like that the shafts are all the same length and handles all the same size. Also that the shafts are neither too long nor too short. They really put a lot of thought into the making of these.

Tried the 0.180" bit on my Ruger Flattop. Bit fit really snugly. So snugly that it doesn't quite bottom-out in the slot (removed one screw to look). Put my calliper to it and it doesn't hit the 0.040" thickness until the very end. Above that it's closer to 0.045". Elsewhere I'm told this is not uncommon, and Brownell's does include a grinding bit of the proper radius to touch them up, if desired.

I'm not sure if either my hands are steady enough or my eye good enough to remove 0.005" just maybe 1/64" from the end of that tip, free-hand, so I'm currently thinking I'll leave it be.