SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P245 Sight Removal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P245 Sight Removal Login/Join 
posted
Can the rear sight on the P245 be removed in either direction? I thought that was the case but after reading a post from a member I am doubting myself. The member said he damaged HIS P245 because he removed his sight in the wrong direction.
(see post)
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...60016324&f=350601935
The included manual on MY P245(1998 vintage) makes no mention that removal must go in one direction or the other. I need to make a minor windage adjustment on mine but now I'm concerned I might damage something if I move the sight.

Semper Fi,

teufel-hunden

Posts: 195 | Location: Maryland | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see why you couldn't. I've drifted my rear sight on a carbon steel P226 with out any damage to the dove tail.
Semper Fi!

Posts: 827 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Looking at the pistol/sights from the rear. The sights are removed and installed from the left.

<----- Remove (push off to left)
-----> Install (push on to right)

If you push them off the wrong way, you likly will have loose sight/drift problems.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
The member said he damaged HIS P245 because he removed his sight in the wrong direction.

There is much misinformation and misunderstanding out there. SIG sights have a very slight chamfer on the leading corner to make them easier to start in the dovetail. So, SIG sights should be installed from the left side. Removal makes no difference, however, it may be easier to remove them in the direction opposite to which they were installed.

Bottom line: Install left to right; remove any way you like.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks to all for clearing that up!

Semper Fi,

teufel-hunden

Posts: 195 | Location: Maryland | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
GaryBF is correct on all counts.

The common misstatement is that the sight bases are tapered to fit into a tapered slot. Unfortunately, the people who say and believe that don’t give the claim a moment’s thought. If they were tapered, they would go in easily only to a certain point and then stop; there would be no way to adjust the windage with such sights.

It’s possible to damage sights and/or slots when installing or even when removing sights, but it’s not because of the direction the sights were moved.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected.

Thanks for making that clear. Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
GaryBF nailed it, I've sent my sight pusher to almost every state, and the printed instructions I always include in the box say just that.

Not sure how the guy linked in the OP buggered up his sight/dovetail, but it wasn't from pushing a sight out the wrong direction.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post