SIGforum
sig 320sc unable to re-assemble after cleaning

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/3870077154

January 05, 2019, 04:16 PM
uncleknife1
sig 320sc unable to re-assemble after cleaning
Hi, I have owned a sig 250 for a few years & the tolerances were much looser than on my new 230sc.
I have taken the 320 to the range a few times & have put about 600 rounds through it total, with a thorough cleaning between range visits. This time after disassembly & cleaning I can not get the slide to go far enough back to engage the slide release to turn the takedown lever. I also notice when I am pulling the slide back that the guide rod goes to either the right or the left. I never noticed that before & I made an assumption that somehow it got bent & was preventing the slide from going all the way back. I bought a new guide spring kit & tried again, it also angles off to the right & does not allow me to retract the slide fully to reassemble the gun.
I should have asked on this forum first, but I didn't & now have an extra guide rod/spring assembly kit - and still have a non-functional gun.

I am very discouraged. I have never had any issues with any of my Sigs before.
I am obviously missing something.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you in advance.
January 05, 2019, 08:09 PM
PCWyoming
Just a guess:
Page 45 of the manual states that for the Compact and Subcompact you must rotate the spring guide so the flats are vertical.

PC
January 05, 2019, 10:08 PM
uncleknife1
Thank you, but unfortunately, I have verified that. I appreciate the suggestion though.
January 05, 2019, 10:26 PM
AZSigs

Does this help?

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor
January 06, 2019, 10:36 AM
uncleknife1
I appreciate your help.
I am sorry If I did not explain myself clearly, The 320sc is disassembled, but when reassembling, I have the trigger group in the frame & the take down lever pinning it to the frame in the down position(I have tried both a sub compact & a compact frame) which have worked until last range session.
I have the take down lever in place, when I try to put the slide back on, the flats of the guide rod spring are top & bottom, per the instructions & I can retract the slide 99% of the way back, but just not quite far enough to engage the slide stop, to allow ne to rotate the take down lever back to the locked position.
I have not tried to move the guide rod while pulling back the slide as I don't have 3 hands, but I will try to get help to "give the a shot" - sorry for the pun.
Trying to keep my sense of humor, as I have reassembled this at least 10-15 times since I have purchased this gun.
I miss my 250, at was a breeze to take down & reassemble, and my p220 is a dream.
again, I can retract the slide 99% of the way back, just not quite enough to engage the slide stop.
Thank you again for your suggestion & please keep them coming until I get my 320 sc back assembled.

p.s. I have inspected the trigger group & all ins appear to be fully seated so I dont see anything preventing the final step of the reassembly.

Thank you for you time & consideration.
January 06, 2019, 06:38 PM
RichN
I've had that happen occasionally. I just take the slide back off, make sure the guide rod is seated properly, and it usually goes on when I try it again. I'm not really sure what the issue is.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)
January 09, 2019, 07:47 PM
BuddyChryst
Just for shits n giggles, rotate the takedown lever to horizontal. Push up on the slide catch then let go. Now rotate the takedown lever back down. See if that works.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy
January 10, 2019, 09:46 PM
uncleknife1
Thank you I appreciate all the responses.
I finally got it back together.
Repeated the suggested steps a few times & the 320 just gave up & is now reassembled.
January 26, 2019, 01:28 AM
beltfed21
I used to have a SC 320, and BuddyChryst is correct. The slide stop does get in the way of the takedown lever making a full rotation. Just so you know for the next time.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"