SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Trigger work?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger work? Login/Join 
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted
Hi folks,

I have a Sig 228 and Sig 2022. I'm just looking for someone to install sights that I'll be supplying for the guns and a basic trigger job. Some of the smiths I've been looking at have been pricey and a little over the top. Any recommendations for a good smith and that give me a good trigger and install my sights at a decent price? Thank you.

Luctor et Emergo

Posts: 194 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Many of us here have used the SIG Armorer for gun work. And Gray Guns is among the best.

https://www.thesigarmorer.com

https://grayguns.com

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
Those were the two that I was looking at that seem to charge a high price. This would be for two guns. I'm just looking for the trigger to be lighter and some sights installed. Has anyone had a trigger job by Sig Custom in NH?

Luctor et Emergo

Posts: 194 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: March 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Almost any local gunsmith should be able to install the sights. I suspect prices would be about the same for most. Some local ’smiths might even do the job properly without buggering something up.

As for working on the triggers, I am not even sure that anyone works on SIG Pro triggers, but I would not even think about anyone except the two already mentioned for top quality work. The SIG shop seems to have a reasonably good reputation, though.

As an unsolicited comment, buy enough guns and you’ll probably decide that you must adapt to the triggers rather than adapting all the triggers to you.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
Well, I was in touch with the Sig Armorer who responded quickly, $75 to install the sights, while Bruce Gray's people, who also responded fast said $50 to install the sights. Neither work on the 2022 although Grays Guns will do so in the near feature so it looks like I'll be just sending the 228. At this point, I'm leaning towards sending it to Grays and have a local person install the sights.

Luctor et Emergo

posted Hide Post
Have you looked up Total Automation. GerryR, a forum member here has reasonable prices.

Posts: 826 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
I did, not ruling him out but still leaning towards Grays guns.

Luctor et Emergo

Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Be sure to ask about turn around times if that is a concern for you.
I know for sure that roberts quoted times are spot on and often shorter then quoted.
Robert is local to me and i know him and his work well. You will be very pleased with his services.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Be sure to ask about turn around times if that is a concern for you.
I know for sure that roberts quoted times are spot on and often shorter then quoted.
Robert is local to me and i know him and his work well. You will be very pleased with his services.

That's a good point. His prices are reasonable too and may be able to do the work faster, which is a consideration. Thank you for the info.

Luctor et Emergo

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
You're 30-45 minutes from Exeter NH what about Sig ?

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of mixed reviews. Maybe for the 2022 since no one works on that gun but I'd rather send the 228 to Grays or the Sig Armorer.

Luctor et Emergo

posted Hide Post
Don't forget to add in shipping charges. Fedex/UPS run about $80 to send to vendor. Then you'll be charged for return shipping by the vendor (variable) as well.

I have a Gen4 G19 I was going to send out for some minor frame mods. Shipping was $83 to vendor and $20 return. The actual work was only $50. $153 for $50 worth of work. Decided to do it myself.

Been shooting for over 50 years. Early on I decided to learn how to do some things myself. Action work on my revolvers, 1911's and Sigs. General maintenance/repairs on those plus some Glock mods. Sight replacements on all my pistols. I've saved a fortune, plus I find it enjoyable.

Based on your posts re just the P228 to Grayguns for action work, that's not going to be inexpensive. It will be $295 plus shipping for the action work alone. Around $400 total.

Generally, good gunsmiths have never been inexpensive.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:
Don't forget to add in shipping charges. Fedex/UPS run about $80 to send to vendor. Then you'll be charged for return shipping by the vendor (variable) as well.

I just paid my FFL a modest fee to mail it USPS. WAAAY cheaper than $80 one way.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by Nipper:

I just paid my FFL a modest fee to mail it USPS. WAAAY cheaper than $80 one way.

Interesting. I was ready to send in a pistol for frame work. Under shipping instructions they stated: "You may ship your frame using UPS or FedEx". Thanks for the heads up. I rarely send guns out.

Apparently FFL to FFL is different from your own address to FFL.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mastrogiacomo
posted Hide Post
I always ship via my local shop. Saves me from being treated like a terrorist.

Luctor et Emergo

posted Hide Post
The SIG custom shop offers a $55 VIP Roundtrip FedEx deal. My 229 is there now via their $55 VIP Roundtrip price.

Happiness is a warm gun,
Bang bang, shoot shoot.

The Beatles
Nov. 1968

Posts: 90 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, today my P229 came home from the SIG Custom Shop. I sent it in to have 3 things done, 1) converted from DAK to DA/SA, 2) a SRT (Short Reset Trigger) and 3) their AEP (Action Enhancement Package). I used their $55 VIP round trip FedEx option and it shipped out on Friday the 24th of May and arrived there on 28th (the 27th was Memorial Day). I got notice that it was being returned on the 31st and it arrived today, the 4th of June, that is damned fast. I wondered if they forgot something, they didn't. So I pull my Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge out and for an average of 20 pulls here is what I am now getting, and these numbers seem lighter than expected. I pulled 10 and thought I was doing something wrong, I repeated it and I was very careful to keep the roller on the middle the trigger and pulling straight back: 20 pulls in DA is 5 pounds and 6 ounces, SA is 2 pounds and 3.8 ounces.

What I can say is “Wow!”, all of this with these results in 4 shop days is outstanding. I will have to get to the range with to see how well it ignites the primmers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Another-Bill,

Happiness is a warm gun,
Bang bang, shoot shoot.

The Beatles
Nov. 1968

Posts: 90 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back from shooting at the local indoor range for a check on sight regulation and accuracy and then went to our local outdoor range to shoot steel plates.

I shot 4 boxes (200 rounds) of GECO 124gr, a box of Winchester NATO 124gr and a half box of the new Federal SYNTECH 124gr ammo through each handgun.

There were no failures to fire in almost 500 rounds of some mixed ammo.
I was really interested to see how the Winchester NATO fired.

Again, no light strikes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Another-Bill,

Happiness is a warm gun,
Bang bang, shoot shoot.

The Beatles
Nov. 1968

Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Another-Bill:
So, today my P229 came home from the SIG Custom Shop. I sent it in to have 3 things done, 1) converted from DAK to DA/SA, 2) a SRT (Short Reset Trigger) and 3) their AEP (Action Enhancement Package). I used their $55 VIP round trip FedEx option and it shipped out on Friday the 24th of May and arrived there on 28th (the 27th was Memorial Day). I got notice that it was being returned on the 31st and it arrived today, the 4th of June, that is damned fast. I wondered if they forgot something, they didn't. So I pull my Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge out and for an average of 20 pulls here is what I am now getting, and these numbers seem lighter than expected. I pulled 10 and thought I was doing something wrong, I repeated it and I was very careful to keep the roller on the middle the trigger and pulling straight back: 20 pulls in DA is 5 pounds and 6 ounces, SA is 2 pounds and 3.8 ounces.

What I can say is “Wow!”, all of this with these results in 4 shop days is outstanding. I will have to get to the range with to see how well it ignites the primmers.

Not disputing your numbers, but that's very strange! DA pull is directly related to cocking the hammer and compressing the mainspring. A smoothed action job and a 18 or 19 lb spring will get you 8 lb DA pull or a hair under. That's physics, work to be done and levers.

Suggest checking your trigger pull gauge with a gallon of water, should be 8.34 lbs plus a bit for the container.

As to SA pull at under 3 lbs, that is mostly about reducing the sears positive engagement angle. Typically about half from 16 or 17 degrees to about 8 or 9. The positive angle of the sear has to cam the hammer back in SA in order to release from the hammer notch, the camming further compresses the mainspring a tiny bit (look at the hammer from the side while dry firing slowly to see it) and that is the major component of SA pull.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hi! Bruce here. I saw this thread and am happy to provide accurate information on our current services and ship times. It’s been a long time since I updated the folks here on what we actually do. I hafta apologise for that void, which has naturally been filled with speculation and odd anecdotes about whatever.

Our shop time for P-Series work is stated as <4 weeks, but in practise runs half that. 10 days door-to-door is typical based on my recent audit. Additionally, we have a short wait queue to minimise that turnaround. Very few problematic projects ever take months these days, largely owing to our greatly increased capabilities and organic focus on quality at every level. We guarantee everything we do for life, and always have. Everyone goes off happy unless they simply don’t want to be.

Important!

We no longer perform the traditional action enhancement work on P226, 228, 229, 220 and 225 models using all the original factory parts, which I pioneered earlier in my career. Back then, it was the best we could do, but those days are thankfully gone (except for select LE clients who are restricted to OEM parts). We developed a full array of very high quality, tool-steel machined enhanced-leverage upgrade components for these models, and our work fully integrates them. The results we obtain are unequalled in every respect. Our ELS packages typically reduce DA pulls by 22 to 26%, with factory springs and stock values for safety and ignition.

This performance is also available in a drop-in adjustable kit form, to fit all double-stack 9/357/40 models.

We DO work on SIG Pro pistols and always have, though it’s not advertised. (I famously still carry my SP2022 every day.) I’m sorry if the OP was not given proper info. For now, we offer a basic action detailing, fitting and refinishing service. In January we are transitioning over to our reduced-reset enhanced leverage fire control system, which reduces the DA pull 26% with factory springs, with an amazing reset. We tested and refined this patent-pending system for years as an OEM submission. It’s ready, and you should wait for it.

I see all sorts of pull weights and other attributes claimed for the action work offered by various shops. The reality is that DA pulls below around 9 pounds are obtainable via traditional “action job” methods only by reducing mainspring force, and such springing degrades ignition reliability in proportion. No one sends out DA pulls in the 5’s and 6’s, much less which work reliably, period. That doesn’t necessarily mean folks who make these claims are knowingly falsifying their results, but rather because they aren’t weighing pulls in a consistent, universally accepted manner. We measure all pulls on a line through the trigger at a point corresponding to the centre of the trigger guard space. Other folks intuitively pull the gauge lower on the trigger.

Measured properly and compared apples-to-apples, our P-Series duty systems consistently yield the lowest DA pulls available with factory or duty-rated springs of anything available. For competition and range, nothing comes close. It’s necessary that I make these distinctions in order that folks can make informed choices based on real value. We are not cheap, but we’ve seen everything. I sleep really well at night with our guarantee in place. Thanks for reading all this! If anyone has questions, the best answers will probably come from me or my three dedicated CS staffers.

Happy Thanksgiving!

-Bruce

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post